Though all eyes focus on established tech havens like San Francisco and New York, Boston has been fostering and nurturing a tech ecosystem well worth its long winters. Here are 11 reasons why you should keep an eye out for Boston as an emerging tech hub.
Melting pot of global talent
The city and its surrounding areas contain 57 colleges and universities, including Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which bring students from around the country and the world to innovate the arts, science, and technology industries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With world-class universities comes world-class resources and connections. Student clubs, organizations, events, and competitions take place to support student entrepreneurship both on campus and around Boston.
Mayor Martin J. Walsh continually supports the startup community because he recognizes their ongoing contribution to Boston’s innovative economy, so he’s kept an ear to the ground for how they can work together to make Boston the tech capital of the world. His commitment to bolstering this sector is evident in the increase number of business spaces, startup portals, and entrepreneur and small business events around the city.
Immense support from the city means programs and initiatives are implemented every year to get startups off the ground. One notably puts women in the spotlight: Walsh’s Women Entrepreneurs Boston (WE BOS) provides Boston’s female entrepreneurs with resources that include technical assistance, panels, and networking events.
Workshops and courses
Education is the backbone of the city, so it comes to no surprise that many organizations actually offer workshops and courses for entrepreneurs and business leaders. Organizations like Startup Institute Boston, Girls who Code, General Assembly, and many others are here to help turn ideas into reality.
With low-cost living options for startup entrepreneurs while they get off the ground and more affordable real estate and labor prices, Boston provides an all around cheaper alternative to Silicon Valley and the Big Apple, allowing entrepreneurs to focus on their company and grow it effectively and efficiently.
Venture capitalist funding
Boston has a supportive early-stage investing community. While there are old-time players in the area, new crops of venture funds like underscore.vc have emerged to back each new wave of tech startups. With less competition than in Silicon Valley, companies with good plans have a better chance of getting funded.
Co-working spaces are perfect environments for entrepreneurs to collaborate, network, and thrive, and they are all around Boston. These allow a range of freelancers, remote workers, and staff employees of a variety of businesses and projects work in a shared, organic space.
Unsure of where to begin? Check local community centers for events, community groups, and coffee shop meetups to attend to navigate the local startup scene. So for those hoping for some advice and support, seek and ye shall find.
A number of conferences held in Boston focus on kindling the entrepreneurial spirit. Some notable names include TEDx, TUGG (Technology Underwriting the Greater Good), and BIG (Boston Innovators Group). BIG, formerly WebInno, is the city’s biggest and longest running tech event and invites early-stage startups to showcase their demos and presentations. But perhaps the can’t-miss summer event is the Boston TechJam, a block party and innovation meetup of the city’s tech minds. It’s filled with live music, local food trucks, and interactive challenges.
Tech giants and home-grown companies
With so much young talent in the tech field exploring different options post grad, it’s no surprise that tech giants like Google, IBM, Facebook, Amazon, and Uber are drawn to Beantown. These giants joining the local companies setting up in Boston slowly sets the tone for an upcoming tech haven.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.