Fueled by a love for epic stories, electric guitar and beer, the homegrown rock operas made by the Baltimore Rock Opera Society are a mainstay of Baltimore’s arts scene, built by a dedicated community of volunteers.
Rock operas tell a dramatic story through interconnected rock songs – think Jesus Christ Superstar or The Who’s Tommy. But while most rock operas start out as concept albums, only staged and fleshed out if the album catches on, the non-profit Baltimore Rock Opera Society, or BROS, creates fully staged original rock operas from the ground up.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“BROS is a place where people with big ideas, tons of creativity and a desire to work really hard get together to build gigantic original rock musicals,” says executive director Aran Keating, one of the founding members of the troupe. “There is something really special about having 100+ people who all are sharing the vision of what a show could be and pouring out their blood, sweat and tears just to see a big crazy idea succeed and come to life on stage.”
The concept for the company began in 2007 when Keating and four others, most of them Goucher College graduates who had settled in the area and played in local rock bands, came together to tell an epic story through rock music. This story evolved into their first show, Gründlehämmer, produced in 2009.
BROS has since created 13 original stage productions, as of May 2018. While they don’t take themselves too seriously, with past productions involving demons, zombies, aliens and a magical electric guitar, they are nonetheless epic, combining performance, puppetry, elaborate sets and costumes, practical effects and an electric score incorporating a range of rock music.
“An original rock opera takes two to three years of development to go from the seed of an idea to opening night,” says Keating.
Those seeds come from the community, as anyone who has volunteered with the company is encouraged to pitch ideas for the next BROS show to their Artistic Council. The Artistic Council chooses a select few to expand into short pitches (five to 10 minutes) for the BROS Pitch Party, where volunteers and members vote on their favorite to produce.
From there, the writing and music teams take about a year to develop the script and score, before designers come in to create a vision for it. While the director casts the show and gets rehearsals underway, all the building, costume design and more are carried out by dozens of passionate volunteers.
“People understand that there is always something meaningful to do inside of BROS,” says Keating, “and that enables us to accomplish really big wonderful things.”
The support of the Baltimore arts community is also a significant part of the success of the Baltimore Rock Opera Society, as “about 2,000 ticket-buyers see each original show.” They also appear at events in Washington DC, Philadelphia and throughout the Baltimore area, such as Artscape and Light City.
The company even has their own beer, collaborating with popular Baltimore craft brewery The Brewer’s Art on “The Chuggernaut,” a specialty brew released in spring 2018.
Tom Creegan, co-owner of The Brewer’s Art, said in an article for Baltimore Magazine, “We just fell in love with the energy and creativity they bring to the city. They are so Baltimore.”
That community support has been necessary in recent years, as the company has been searching for a permanent home since their previous headquarters shut down in late 2016. They recently raised over $77,000 on Crowdrise towards future productions, the first phase in a larger plan to create what they call “Baltimore’s First Rock Palace” – a coworking space made by artists for artists.
In the meantime, the show must go on. Baltimore Rock Opera Society has mounted not one but two productions since the closure and is in early development for a rock opera set to premiere in 2020.
On what keeps them going, Keating says, “We really care about giving audiences unforgettable experiences by giving them the most epic story we can imagine and delivering it to your eyeballs.”
He concludes, “It’s the biggest, most elaborate show performed by people who put their hearts into the performance. What more could you want?”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.