The Old Line State isn’t your typical beach destination, but it should be. As well as its Atlantic shoreline, Maryland has beaches on the bay, the river, the creek, and anywhere else you can find the sun and the sand. Beach houses in Maryland’s coastal towns are as relaxing and rejuvenating as the hotels in Maryland’s inner harbors. To see these sublime swathes of coastline in style we’ve picked out some of the best beach hotels in Maryland, USA, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Become acquainted with the “ocean” part of Ocean City at the Princess Royale, and wave back to the waves from your oceanfront suite. Allow Will’s Beach Service to introduce you to the shoreline – he’ll pull up a beach chair for you to sit for a spell. Rock up early for the sunrise if you want an easier way to break the ice. If you’ve had enough of the beach for one day, the indoor pool, housed within a four-story tropical atrium, makes for a great place to take a quiet dip.
Spend a night at Cambria Hotel and your favorite part of Maryland’s Eastern Shore will be the bayside. The hotel’s sundeck and private poolside cabanas face West Ocean City, no doubt to make the mainland residents jealous of the warm relaxation just out of reach. With the Bayside Boardwalk, Free Fishing Pier, and Downtown Rec Complex on this side of town, you’ll hardly spend time on the ocean side, but it’s only a five-minute walk if you ever want to.
Parents, you might as well end your search for beach hotels in Maryland right here and now. Our best guess is that the Hilton in Ocean City was designed by children, for children. There are three pools, one of which is a children’s pool with waterslides. The suites face the beachfront, no doubt to let the amateur architects watch over their sandcastles from above. The Jolly Roger Amusement Park, famous for its 1952 antique train, is right next door. Might as well call this joint Hil-tons of fun.
The Inn at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club will redefine your idea of island time. Located on Kent Island, across from Annapolis, this resort has a private beach within reach, saving you from a trip to the Eastern Shore. When the tide rolls in, let the relaxation at the spa wash over you instead. There’s a range of ocean-themed treatments to indulge in, from a mother of pearl prenatal massage to a beach club signature facial.
Re-live your college days at this hip hotel, which puts a sophisticated spin on campus style. Located downtown, Graduate Annapolis keeps you close to the water, while still providing the city break you’re used to. Your Belgian shepherd is welcome at this pet-friendly hotel, and four-legged companions will dig the private dog park on-site. Just make sure they pay their respects to Bill the Goat – he’s the top dog around these parts.
Charming Victorian architecture, historic surroundings and a ten-minute drive to the beach are among the Historic Inns of Annapolis’s appealing features. Revolutionary War heroes and members of George Washington’s US Congress once slept in these historic homes. Today, they’re a perfect basecamp for exploring downtown Annapolis and the beach. You’ll love following the Annapolis Harbor around Spa Creek, discovering pocket-size parks where you can launch kayaks into the water.
BYO boat and sail to any beach you desire from the Hyatt Regency in Chesapeake Bay. We bet you won’t leave the 150-slip marina often, though; this sprawling 342-acre (138ha) resort has plenty to keep the wind in your sails. Eighteen holes of golf and a full-service spa will keep you docked without fail. See it all laid out before you from the comfort of a Chesapeake Suite, with views of the Choptank River.
Who needs a beachfront hotel in Maryland when Residence Inn has a poolside tiki bar? Maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but this chill Ocean City hotel on the bay is supremely relaxing. Balconies and bay views from the room; seafood and suds in the on-site restaurant. In the winter, the warm and welcoming indoor pool lets you get your float on.
To stay afloat at a beach hotel in Maryland, you’ll want to stay Aloft at Ocean City. Snag a suite with a view of the Isle of Wight Bay for waterfront balcony bliss. Someone’s often strumming an acoustic guitar at the WXYZ Bar if you need to tap your toes, though the beach is close by if said toes also need to be covered in sand. In the moments it takes you to stroll to the shore, you’ll pass more than 200 bars and restaurants.
Trade your dress blues for a bathing suit when you stay at The Westin. Dungarees and Dixie caps may be the norm around this downtown Annapolis hotel, but you’re welcome to stay in your civies during your stay. Severn Beach is a quick 4mi (6km) jaunt to the river, though boaters, anglers, and picnickers who want to do more than just swim should pull off at Jonas and Anne Catharine Green Park, just over the Naval Academy Bridge.
For something more adventurous, discover our guide to the best inns and glamping spots in Maryland – they’re bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.