Need a romantic getaway? Baltimore offers a variety of activities and accommodations for couples looking for charm in Charm City. Check out our couple’s guide to Baltimore to see our favorite hotels, restaurants, and more.
Check into a scenic hotel
Baltimore might be a big city, but it has plenty of cozy accommodations to set the mood for your couple’s trip. The historic Admiral Fell Inn combines classic charm with modern amenities, with the opportunity to opt for a balcony or jacuzzi. The luxury Inn at Henderson’s Wharf is considered the top romantic hotel in the city, with rooms overlooking the harbor. For something more secluded, Rachael’s Dowry Bed and Breakfast, opened in 2010, reflects the furnishing and architectural style of its 18th-century beginnings, with a library and windows overlooking the gardens.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take in the scenery at Patterson Park or Gwynns Falls Trail
Patterson Park is a lovely place to take a romantic stroll any time of year. This 295-acre park features a boating lake, gorgeous greenery, and an ice-skating rink in the winter. Most striking is the four-story Victorian pagoda, with an observatory open on Sunday afternoons that boats amazing views of downtown Baltimore. If you’re a hiking or biking couple, there’s also the Gwynns Falls Trail, a 15-mile trail with a unique combination of forest and cityscapes. It connects 30 neighborhoods, including 10 city parks, and takes you through the Gwynns Falls stream valley. Think about packing a picnic lunch.
Spend a night at the theater
Baltimore is great for a couple’s night at the movies, with beautiful historic theaters such as The Charles and The Senator, or Bengie’s Drive-In, a true throwback to the ’50s. Plus, in the summer, you’ll find outdoor film festivals in Little Italy, Fells Point and more. If you’re into live theater, check out the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center’s Hippodrome Theatre for touring Broadway productions, Center Stage for innovative professional productions, or the Peabody Institute for full-scale operas put on by the talented conservatory students.
Enjoy dinner, drinks, and ambiance at a romantic restaurant
Round out your day with a lovely meal at one of the city’s top romantic restaurants. Baltimore’s Little Italy is packed with restaurants, including La Tavola, that offer fine wine and homemade pasta. Charleston and Wit & Wisdom offer harbor views and chic American cuisine. For art and culture, Tapas Teatro, next door to The Charles, has delicious Spanish tapas and more of a café atmosphere, and Gertrude’s overlooks the Baltimore Museum of Art’s sculpture garden. In addition, Annabel Lee Tavern’s walls are decorated with lines from Edgar Allan Poe’s Annabel Lee, giving the late-night restaurant a literary air.
Explore Mount Vernon
Once home to Baltimore’s elite, Mount Vernon’s gardens and 19th-century architecture make it a beautiful area for couples to walk around. At its heart is the towering Washington Monument. If you’re up for a 227-step climb, you can go up and take in the view on certain days. Peek inside the area’s historic churches and libraries, and take a walk through the Walters Art Museum. End the day at Magdalena Restaurant, for fine French cuisine, or Sotto Sopra, a contemporary Italian restaurant with weekly jazz performances and a monthly opera night.
Hop on a food tour
Walking along the cobblestone streets of Fells Point’s historic seaport already sounds like a nice afternoon. Add in a food tour with fabulous cocktails, local seafood, and other area cuisine? Even better! The 3.5-hour Fells Point Food Tour weaves stories of Fells Point’s past with samplings of the neighborhood’s best. All food and drinks are included in the ticket price.
Take in the harbor by boat
As a waterfront city, there are plenty of ways for couples to get out on the water. Head to Team Chessie Paddle Boats and take your pick of a traditional couple’s paddle boat, an electric pirate ship, or the signature dragon paddle boat. Book a sightseeing tour or dinner cruise for fantastic views. Or, if you like history, take a tour of one of the historic ships in the harbor, like the grand USS Constellation.
Experience the wonder of nature at the National Aquarium
“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” This Loren Eiseley quote nicely sums up The National Aquarium in Baltimore. One of the top aquariums in the country, the National Aquarium’s award-winning exhibits set a serene mood for a romantic outing. Buy tickets in advance online and plan to go after 3 p.m. for fewer crowds and more leisure. For a great deal, go Fridays after 5 p.m. for their Half-Price Friday special.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.