Once a small fishing village in Perkins Cove, Ogunquit slowly became known for the beauty of its coastline – initially attracting artists who began organizing art exhibitions in the 1920s. Today, it’s a welcome retreat to all who visit its shores.
Ogunquit in Abenaki – the first local nation language – means “beautiful place by the sea” and lies in the south-eastern corner of York County. In its early days, land here in Maine’s Ogunquit was rough and rocky with just a few inhabitants other than self-reliant fishermen who kept their dories in a cove exposed to the Atlantic Ocean. Today, this town is a welcoming hub of artistic and therapeutic activity for all to enjoy – with some stunning places to stay, now bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Looking for a convenient location near Ogunquit’s vast white sand beaches? The Milestone Hotel is perfect for you. Whether you enjoy surfing, swimming, strolling, dog walking, or sunbathing, one of the two beaches here – Ogunquit Beach and Footbridge Beach – will easily fit the brief. Back at your accommodation, lush grounds and immaculate hotel rooms don’t cost a fortune and you’ll have access to a fitness center, heated pool and a delicious complimentary breakfast. Plus, the nearby village has loads of seafood restaurants, eateries and great shopping to enjoy.
The bright, breezy and colorful accommodation is a hallmark of this lovely property. Many of the rooms have whirlpool baths and all have kitchenettes with a fridge and microwave, plus there is a sauna, indoor pool and BBQ. The resort is just a few minutes walk from white sand Footbridge Beach where water sports such as sailing, surfing and swimming are all popular – as well as the more classic lounging on the sand. Nearby is Ogunquit village and the bijou artist’s colony of Perkins Cove – both of which are historic coastal communities with much to see and do.
This unique property overlooks the Ogunquit River as well as the Atlantic Ocean and is about a mile from the town of Ogunquit. The Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge borders the inn attracting ducks, seabirds, deer and other wildlife, while the decor is also reminiscent of the outdoors – think natural materials and colors like aqua, ochre and beige. Outdoor activities are almost too many to list but include Bunny Clark’s deep-sea fishing, Deborah Ann’s whale watching, scenic boat cruises and relaxing coastal walks.
Those looking for soft adventure will enjoy this soothing and natural retreat that celebrates the outdoor beauty of Ogunquit. Have a thrilling adventure by kayak or try snorkeling – or if you’re feeling adventurous, deep-sea diving. Discover the ocean’s scenic beauty on a boat cruise or even deep-sea fishing. Take a dip in the Olympic-size heated outdoor pool, play a game of tennis or have a BBQ with the family over in the picnic area. At the end of a busy day, ease yourself onto one of the many Adirondack chairs around the property and look out over the Ogunquit River.
This traditional property near Ogunquit’s coast is certainly what the family ordered. For one, there is plenty of room for lawn games, picnics, or relaxing strolls through its six acres of land. The white clapboard building is old-school New England with simple but tasteful guest rooms. There is an indoor and outdoor pool, loads of floaties and a grill for guest use. Hop on the Ogunquit Trolley and get taken into town for seafood, entertainment and shopping or, instead, to the two-mile long Marginal Way walk along a particularly rocky – yet romantic – bit of shoreline.
Guests are right next to the lapping waves of the Atlantic Ocean at this spectacular property. Situated at the beginning of the Marginal Way walk and the tidal outlet of the Ogunquit River, you couldn’t be at a more breathtaking spot for natural beauty. This 100-year-old resort prides itself on discreet yet exceptional round-the-clock service – and amenities include an extensive complimentary continental breakfast, freshwater-heated outdoor swimming pool, tennis court, lawn games and lending library. Enjoy additional privileges at the local golf and fitness clubs, too.
This large and exceptionally well-serviced coastal resort has 202 guest rooms – most with an ocean view – as well as seasonal dining at its oceanfront restaurants, two indoor pools and two outdoor pools plus a sprawling lawn dotted with Adirondack chairs. Located on Long Sands Beach near the town of York – and within a quick walk of the picturesque Nubble Lighthouse – this property is just a few miles south of Ogunquit and an hour’s drive north of Portland. Check out nearby York Harbor for whale watching, fishing, scenic cruises and also the scenic cliff walk.
This historic oceanfront property started life as the Beachmere Cottage built by Charles Chamberlain Hoyt in the 1880s. It’s near to all the coastal activities you could want as well as golfing opportunities and biking on local trails. If hiking is your thing, Mount Agamenicus is not far away and an enjoyable yet challenging peak to climb. Back at the resort, residences and traditional guest rooms are in five different buildings: the Victorian, Beachmere South, Beachmere West, Mayfair and Hearthstone House. Be sure to try out the elegant Blue Bistro Restaurant offering oceanfront dining and fine seafood. If fish is your thing, you’ll want to visit the area’s fish markets or lobster pounds, one is on the Rt. 1 in Ogunquit.
If none of these take your fancy, see our guide to the best hotels in Maine for every traveler, or where to stay in Ogunquit with many places to stay – including the best pet-friendly hotels – now bookable via Culture Trip. Wherever you decide to lay your head, make sure you include seeing the fall foliage in your itinerary – discover the best spots to see it in Maine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.