Whether you’re here to sink into the sands of Ogunquit and Footbridge beaches, hike the Marginal Way or gorge on local lobster, you’ll want a nice place to rest your head in the evening. To help, we’ve collated the best places to stay in Ogunquit, Maine – and they’re all bookable on Culture Trip.
Ogunquit, translating to “beautiful place by the sea” in the language of the Algonquin people, makes for a serene northeastern coastal getaway with mesmerizing ocean views, charming shops and the most delicious lobster around. Long referred to as the most walkable community in Maine, this charming family-friendly resort town has a thriving arts and LGBTQ scene. It’s also peppered with candy stores, ice cream stalls and quaint beachside shops – and, though it may be small, you’ll find plenty of stays for all budgets, from cozy motels to luxury five-star hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re after good old-fashioned hospitality and simple yet comfortable rooms, look no further than Gorges Grant Hotel. Not only does this retreat serve a moreish breakfast at the on-site restaurant Raspberri’s, but there’s also heated indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzis, and exclusive golf packages at the nearby Cape Neddick Country Club. Bath & Body Works toiletries add a welcome touch.
Footbridge Beach Motel is among the top motels in Ogunquit. Owners Scott and Mark pride themselves on five-star service and clean, comfortable rooms – some of which come with bathtubs, plus sundecks with outdoor seating. Outside, in the midst of beautifully maintained grounds and gardens, there’s a heated pool plus a picnic and grilling area – the ideal spot to relax after a day at Footbridge Beach.
Taken over by new owners, this picturesque B&B, just steps from the lively Ogunquit downtown district, underwent a refurbishment. The result? A charming property with six quaint studios, plus one pet-friendly room, all with ensuite bathrooms and a romantic fireplace. If you’re visiting on the second or last Saturday in July, August or September, be sure to check out the Trellis House Lobster Dinner Party Package for an exquisite evening of fine cuisine.
One of the most popular hotels in town, thanks to a prime location directly on the beach, this resort has options ranging from well-appointed rooms and cottages to condos – many with unrivaled sea views. Take a dip in one of the two heated pools before soaking in the laid-back atmosphere at the on-site restaurant, Surf Point 360, which serves some of the freshest seafood in Maine.
Ideally located for all activities in Ogunquit, the Mariner Resort has rooms ranging from basic motel-style to three-bed suites, all with access to the indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub and fitness room. Heading there with the whole family in tow? Book the five-bedroom River House, which has a fully stocked kitchen, family room, a front and back porch plus a sunroom and living room, all with panoramic views of the Ogunquit tidal river.
If you didn’t guess from the name, the Ogunquit River Inn sits pride of place on a riverbank, with 81 stylish rooms overlooking the Rachel Carson Wildlife Preserve. On site you’ll find a picnic area with outdoor seating and barbecue facilities, plus, for an additional charge, you can rent canoes and head out to explore the river. Be sure to start each day with syrupy homemade waffles served with your continental breakfast.
Meadowmere may look modest from the outside, but step inside and you’ll find cozy rooms with plenty of amenities. Not only are wall-mounted TVs, a seating area, jacuzzi and ensuites found in selected rooms, there are multiple pools, a health club and spa, and even an arcade. Wet your whistle at the on-site pub, known for one of the best happy hours in town, before heading out for the night.
Ogunquit Tides Resort, sitting atop 5 acres (2ha) of land overlooking a tidal river along the Atlantic Ocean, offers everything from spacious rooms and suites to family cottages and apartments – making it a convenient stay for all budgets. While there’s an outdoor pool on site, the calm waters of the river are moments away for keen kayakers looking to get to Ogunquit Beach. Or if you’d rather stay on dry land, there’s the option of renting bikes and exploring the scenery at your own pace.
With a direct route to Ogunquit Beach and less than 2mi (3.2km) from the Marginal Way – one of the most beloved coastal walks in New England – you’re perfectly placed to enjoy the best of everything this serene seaside village has to offer. Good luck tearing yourself away from the hotel amenities though, which include a pool with comfy loungers, a fitness center and hot tub. Top-tier rooms even come with a fireplace, jacuzzi and balcony, so you can make the most of those mesmerizing views.
From the moment you step into the lobby of the InnSeason, you’ll feel its luxury nuances. It’s walking distance to the beach and home to 77 suites, decked out in prints, with whirlpool spas, living rooms with fireplaces, and well-equipped kitchenettes. The on-site exercise room, library, indoor swimming pool and sauna will ensure you keep busy when you’re not out and about.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.