Whether you prefer metal crackers and a bib or silverware and white porcelain, Maine restaurants serve up the state’s famous bottom-dwellers with ceremony and flair. Take a seat on the wharf with a local brew, vats of melted butter and a lobster so fresh you saw its antennae curl as it hit boiling water. We discover the top places that make Maine lobster renowned for being the best in the world.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Young’s Lobster Pound
This restaurant overlooks the Penobscot Bay and has docking for your boat, with both an inside dining room and an outside deck. Young’s encourages guests to bring their own beer, wine, and appetisers and even dinner for those who don’t like seafood. For the lobster-enthusiasts however, the ‘Shore Dinner’ comes with a large steamed lobster, clams, potato chips, butter, corn on the cob or coleslaw and your choice of lobster stew, fish chowder, or clam chowder. If that seems like too much, select a lobster from their tank and choose your sides á la carte.
Eventide Oyster Co.
The new and modish Portland-based Eventide Oyster Company reinvents the centuries-old American oyster bar with its bright lights, blue walls and a granite slab covered in ice and gleaming oysters. Eventide’s popular half-shell lobsters sourced from local harbors are not the only shellfish on the menu. Try the brown butter lobster roll served on a Chinese-style steamed bun, or the lobster stew with sherry, paprika and a biscuit.
Perhaps the most famous spot in Maine for lobster rolls, Red’s Eats’ red and white striped shack has received national acclaim for many years running. A favorite of tourists and certainly some locals, Red’s Eats is located on the scenic Sheepscot River in Wiscassett. Whilst it is a convenient lunch spot for anyone making their way along the coastal Route One, be prepared for long lines. Red’s classic lobster roll appears at the shack window with heaping claw and tail meat and extra mayo and butter on the side if so desired.
Shaw’s Fish and Lobster Wharf
Street and Co.
Street and Co. is nestled between establishments on a narrow cobblestoned lane in Portland’s historic ‘Old Port.’ Its brick interior is rustic and chic and the kitchen serves up garlicky grilled seafood and pasta dishes that echo the restaurant’s ambiance. In the summertime you can enjoy hors d’oeuvres or dinner enjoyed on outdoor seating on the street, and one third of the restaurant is always reserved for walk-ins. Try ‘grilled lobster on linguine, butter, and garlic’ or the house specialty for two, lobster diavolo – linguine in a spicy sauce topped with mussels, clams, calamari, and a whole lobster sliced down the middle.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.