From oceanfront boltholes with treatments inspired by the sea to treehouse treatment rooms and luxury retreats flaunting little-known massage techniques, these spa hotels in Maine have something on the menu for everyone. Whether you visit to relax by the seaside in Kennebunkport or explore the scenery of Acadia National Park, indulge in a trip and find your inner zen. Emerge from a stay at one of these properties refreshed and grateful for spending a little time and money on self-care.
There’s a handful of tempting packages to choose from at this York Harbor day spa, perched right on the edge of the ocean. But the real clincher is the range of facials, from anti-aging to aromatic, mini and deep-cleansing, almost all of which exclusively use plant-based skincare brand Yon-Ka Paris. Treatments can be booked for both individuals and couples, and there’s a small fitness center, too.
There’s a soothingly simple design to the spa at this Kennebunkport inn. The Breakwater’s experienced therapists offer a streamlined menu of treatments, focusing on massage, waxing and body treatments rather than pedicures, manicures or facials. As an added bonus, you can even customize your massage with enhancements such as aromatherapy, CBD oil or the anti-inflammatory alpine arnica muscle repair.
This is not a run-of-the-mill hotel spa. While White Barn Inn does offer some of the more vanilla treatments you might find at other spas across the globe (sports massage, mineral wraps, facial peels), that’s not their bread and butter. Instead, prepare to get lost in a whole new world of raindrop therapy (a massage inspired by Native American wellness traditions, where essential oils are applied like drops of rain), Thai Yoga massage (which combines gentle stretching, passive yoga and acupressure) and more.
This very sizable hotel spa has won many plaudits. It captivates guests with its floor-to-ceiling windows that hero Atlantic Ocean views and has many fans for its considered, locally inspired treatments. The award-winning Salt of the Sea massage changes according to the season. There’s sandalwood oil in spring; lemon basil, rosemary and ginseng for summer; Tibetan singing bowls come autumn; and essential oils featuring marine extracts in winter.
The historic Bethel Inn is perfectly placed for skiing during the winter months. After a long day on the hill, you’ll be glad to ease those aching muscles in the hotel’s spa, open seven days per week. Ski boots causing you pain? Book the foot soak with scrub and massage for a real treat. They even offer teen facials, so you can treat the adolescent in your life.
If a sojourn at oceanfront Inn By the Sea isn’t rejuvenating enough, then a visit to the spa might just do the trick. Try the signature Sea Waves massage, where your therapist will use a custom blend of oil and long, relaxing strokes that mimic the ebb and flow of the ocean, all synchronized to the sounds of the sea.
This is a Maine spa hotel with a difference. Hidden Pond’s three treatment rooms are tucked away among the birch treetops and connected by a catwalk that weaves through the trees. Step inside one of the snug, smoky-grey cabins, and you’ll feel as if you’ve been transported from Kennebunkport, Maine, deep into the belly of a Swedish forest retreat. Treatments even incorporate ingredients plucked fresh from the gardens at Hidden Pond, such as rosemary, mint and lavender.
The catalog of treatments on offer at this Bar Harbor spa is extensive. From exfoliating sea scrubs to cuticle grooming, CBD oil massages, milk bath experiences and express facials, expect to be preened from forehead to toe. If you are on a romantic weekend getaway, you can also indulge in the spa’s customizable Suite for Two package, which typically includes a massage and bath experience.
For more hotel options in Maine, check out the best hotels in Maine for every traveler, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.