The bayou-bound Big Easy is brimming with unique cultural experiences – so soak up the charm on one of these best-selling tours. From paddlewheel cruises on the mighty Mississippi to dynamic jazz in tucked-away venues, here are the best bookable offerings in New Orleans.
New Orleans is one of the many magical destinations in our new collection of expertly curated, small-group adventures called TRIPS by Culture Trip. Join us on the four-day adventure to explore the best of the city with a local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Manchac kayak swamp tour with local guide
The lowlands of Louisiana that surround New Orleans are known for their wildlife, cypress trees and slow currents. Swap the streets for the swamp to fully embrace the natural rhythms of this region, with a scenic kayak tour. The sleepy southern landscape of the Mississippi River Delta is a watery wonderland of sun-kissed marshes and soothing birdsong. Don’t forget your camera.
Food walking tour of the French Quarter
For a true taste of NOLA, savour the distinctive flavours of the French Quarter on this walking tour. From seafood gumbo to Louisiana Creole brisket, the stomach-rumbling aromas are sure to whet your appetite. During the three-hour tour, you’ll stop at the historic French Market and various foodie venues, as your knowledgeable guide provides culinary insights into the history of the area. A word of advice: you might want to skip breakfast for this one.
Whitney Plantation tour
For a poignant understanding of the regional history, a visit to this former sugar plantation is a must. Now a museum dedicated to promoting an understanding of slavery in the US, the Whitney Plantation provides an eye-opening insight into the lives of those who worked here over the course of its 260-year history. This restored antebellum property is also one of the best examples of Spanish Creole architecture in Louisiana.
Creole Louisiana: a French Quarter walking tour
On this unmissable walking tour, experience the Vieux Carré through the eyes of the Louisiana Creoles who originally called it home. This is old Louisiana – you’ll learn about antebellum life and architecture in historic surroundings: St Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, St Louis Cemetery No. 1 and Hermann-Grima House – a quintessential French Quarter residence from 1831 – are all included in the itinerary.
Private three-hour Cajun roux class
This Cajun and Creole cooking class is the perfect hands-on learning experience if you want to take New Orleans flavors home with you. Learn about the importance of the Cajun Holy Trinity – celery, bell peppers and onions – as you create traditional dishes such as gumbo, étouffée and bananas foster under the guidance of a local expert.
Steamboat Natchez evening jazz cruise
In operation since 1975, the old-world Natchez is modelled after traditional steamboats that traversed the Mississippi in the 19th century. This scenic cruise is accompanied by live jazz courtesy of Dukes of Dixieland and a Creole-inspired dinner; just sit back and soak up the sunset views and the twinkle of the city skyline on this romantic cruise.
New Orleans jazz tour with live music
If you like your history laced with a classic soundtrack, don’t miss out on this nightlife tour of the best live music venues in New Orleans. Visit jazz landmarks such as Louis Armstrong Park and Frenchman Street while passing through the historic neighborhoods of Tremé and Marigny. Your local guide will take you to their favorite haunts; be on the lookout for impromptu street performances on the way.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.