A vibrant mix of African, French, and American influences create a heady atmosphere that marks New Orleans out as a one-off destination. The pulsating sound of jazz hangs in the air, as does the wafting aroma of Cajun cuisine, and you won’t find a finer place to party anywhere else in America. Join us on a spring tour of the Big Easy.
Whether you’re riding streetcars along Canal Street or having a wild night in the French Quarter, there’s a unique old-world charm that makes New Orleans one of the most popular holiday destinations in America. Unfortunately, that also means there are several tourist traps set to capture the unsuspecting visitor, but fear not – this seasonal guide is to help you navigate this lively town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The French Quarter
The real character of New Orleans shines through in the mesmerizing French Quarter. There are usually a whole host of festivals and public events taking place here, plus a wide range of cafes, shops, and restaurants. The food here is of the highest order, ranging from quick bites to extravagantly wholesome meals. The famous Bourbon Street and surrounding areas are the place to be seen – an essential stop on any visit to New Orleans.
The incredible street party known as Mardi Gras had to be canceled last year, but that didn’t stop the locals from celebrating in style. The colorful floats that slowly travel around town were gone, so residents instead converted their own homes into uniquely decorated attractions. While the streets do fill up with curious visitors all year round, there’s a sweet spot to be found in spring. The streets won’t be too busy, the restaurants will welcome your business with open arms and the atmosphere will still be unforgettable.
One of the main reasons to visit New Orleans is the incredible variety it offers when it comes to food. There are high-end restaurants here run by the best chefs in the country, but you’re better off experiencing the real side of town with some of the more authentic creole/Cajun cuisine found in almost every corner at street level. There are plenty of breweries and microbreweries in the Garden District to help ease the intense heat of the sweltering climate, and no trip to this part of the world is complete without a stop at Café du Monde. The shop has been serving coffee and traditional beignets since 1862, earning a reputation as the place that introduced Americans to the joys of pouring a little milk in their morning brew.
Luxury and old-school Southern charm make the Pontchartrain Hotel one of the most popular in the city. Housed in an architectural gem from 1927, it has regularly been voted among the best hotels in the world. Rumor has it that Frank Sinatra and Rita Hayworth both stayed here in the 1940s. Inside, the colorful, plush interiors reflect the vibrant city outside. There are dozens of comfortable suites to choose from, plus four restaurants and bars tapping into the best food and drink in the area. If you enjoy a tipple head up to the Hot Tin Rooftop Bar and sample some spicy cocktails served New Orleans style.
This historic part of New Orleans is often overlooked in favor of areas such as downtown and the French Quarter, but it would be a shame to miss it on your next trip to Louisiana. The collection of mansions and houses dating back to the early 20th century are some of the best-preserved examples of turn-of-the-century architecture anywhere in the Southern states. The grandiose buildings are easily reached from other parts of New Orleans via streetcar routes, and the area is often part of the ghost tours that are a hugely popular outdoor activity for paranormal enthusiasts. As this is a quieter part of town that is best seen on foot, it is perfect for anyone looking to visit in the spring this year.
The Prytania Oaks Hotel, a boutique hotel in a mid-19th century Greek Revival double gallery house, is an adults-only oasis in NOLA’s Garden District. Offering 16 rooms with high ceilings and red heart pine floors, this hotel is the perfect choice for those seeking to enjoy a mixture of old-world architecture and contemporary lodging. Adjacent to the fabulous St Charles Avenue, the Prytania features lush landscapes, 24-hour front desk staff services, and a range of amenities including cable TV, wifi, and flat-screen TVs.
Looking for more accommodation options? Book one of the best hotels near the Port of New Orleans, Louisiana, with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.