Baton Rouge, Louisiana, may not have the romanticism or pizazz of New Orleans, but the state capital is still rich in history with plenty of ways to enjoy your time here. From museums and mansions to the arts and even a casino, there is much to see and do. Read on for Culture Trip’s top tips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
USS Kidd Veterans Museum
Located on the east bank of the Mississippi River in downtown Baton Rouge is the famous USS Kidd Veterans Museum. Stroll through the passages and discover the names and events that transformed the world during two world wars. Then, walk down the long brow to the deck of the ship, nicknamed the Pirate of the Pacific. Stand on the bow, look out over the water and remember how the last people here were fighting for the greater good of the world.
Old Governor’s Mansion
The Old Governor’s Mansion is the former residence of Governor Huey P Long and a fantastic piece of architecture. Step back in time and survey the rooms and halls on a one-hour guided tour through the magnificent house. A spiral staircase greets you in the foyer, and the influence of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is immediately apparent.
Louisiana Arts and Science Museum
With more than 4,000 artefacts and works of art, the Louisiana Arts and Science Museum’s permanent collection is constantly growing, with revolving exhibition. If you’re an art and science buff touring through the capital city, stop in and enjoy all that this museum has to offer. Do not miss the gallery on Ancient Egypt, which features a mummy dating to 300BCE.
The Magnolia Mound plantation house is one of Louisiana’s many preserved examples of the atrocities committed by past generations. Originally a 900-acre (364ha) property overlooking the mighty Mississippi River, the estate is now dedicated to educating people on the French Creole roots that have become the staple of southern Louisiana.
Louisiana State Capitol
Building, Architectural Landmark, Historical Landmark
Huey P Long – aka the Kingfish – was arguably Louisiana’s best, yet most corrupt, governor. One thing is certain about the man: he got things done. Louisiana’s State Capitol building is one of the many construction projects undertaken and completed during the time of this ambitious political giant, who often used unorthodox methods to accomplish his aspirations. He would meet his fate inside the capitol building he had fought to erect; Long was shot by Carl Weiss on September 8, 1935, and died two days later.
Louisiana’s Old State Capitol
Of all the historic architecture in and around Baton Rouge, the Old State Capitol building is unique, with its gothic design and brilliant stained-glass windows resembling a medieval castle. Today, the Capitol, which was built 170 years ago, serves as a museum to educate visitors on Louisiana’s political history. Stand on the steps of this ecclesiastical vestige, perched on a grassy knoll on the bank of the Mississippi, and take in the ambience of this memorable spot.
Pizzeria, Restaurant, American, Pub Grub, Fast Food, Vegetarian, $
There is no better place downtown to satisfy your cravings than Pastime, revered by Baton Rouge residents. You can’t go wrong ordering a pizza, calzone or po’ boy. There is an option for even the pickiest individuals on the extensive menu here. Located under the Horace Wilkinson Bridge, Pastime began as a grocery store in the 1920s. In 1945, the building was reopened as the restaurant that still stands, and in 2007, it was named a historic landmark.
LSU Rural Life Museum
Take a step back in time and experience the rural lives of Louisianians during the 18th and 19th centuries at the LSU Rural Life Museum. This aesthetically stunning building accurately depicts the injustices suffered by those enslaved for generations. The scene appears virtually untouched by time – climb inside the claustrophobia-inducing slave quarters, followed by a visit to the spacious church used to reinforce the disturbing social injustice of slavery.
If the museums and old buildings don’t quite satisfy your need for excitement, head down to the boat and put it all on black. The Hollywood Casino is a great place to blow off some steam. Don’t have enough to bet big? That’s OK – head over to the cheap slots and take advantage of free drinks. Other options include the Belle of Baton Rouge, just south of the Hollywood Casino, in the downtown area. Farther down the river, you’ll find the newest addition, L’auberge Casino, which opened in 2012.
Shaw Center for the Arts
The Shaw Center for the Arts is the perfect way to spend an evening in downtown Baton Rouge. Inside, take in the magnificent visuals provided by the LSU Museum of Art and the LSU School of Art Glassell Gallery. Cap off your evening with some of the best dining spots in the city. Stroubes is a local favorite, and you can’t go wrong with Capital City Grill. The rooftop experience at Tsunami is where you can order some of the best sushi in the city while enjoying the most spectacular scene Baton Rouge has to offer, as the sun sets over the Mississippi.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.