In order to enjoy the rich history of Lexington, Kentucky, visitors should definitely check out the city’s museums that provide its visitors with ample knowledge and insight into Lexington’s past and present. Read on to find our top picks.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Aviation Museum of Kentucky
The Aviation Museum of Kentucky is a 20,000 square foot display room, located in the Blue Grass Airport of Lexington. The museum is a great place to learn about, not only the history of the city or state, but of the nation and the history of airplanes. In addition to the display room, the museum has a workshop for restoration projects as well as a library and gift shop. The airplanes that are on display are both antiques and modern aircrafts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tuesday to Saturday:10am-5pm; Sunday 1pm-5pm; Monday: Closed
4029 Airport Road, KY, USA, +1 859 231 1219
The Hunt-Morgan House
Located in the historic Gratz Park neighborhood of Lexington, The Hunt-Morgan House is a stunning example of 19th century antebellum-era architecture. The house was built in 1814 and contains many architectural features that were integral to the time period, as well as an impeccably preserved collection of 19th century furniture. Visitors can take a guided tour, or wander at their own pace.
Opening hours: 9am-5pm; Saturday and Sunday: Closed
253 Market Street, KY, USA, +1 859 252 0362
The American Saddlebred Museum
The American Saddlebred Museum features a large and impressive collection of saddlebred artefacts. It is located within the grounds of the beautiful Kentucky horse park. There are year round exhibits, educational workshops, and plenty of activities to keep visitors amused and engaged in the history of the saddlebred and what the saddlebred means for Kentucky, and for the country.
Opening hours: 9am-5pm; Monday: Closed
4083 Iron Works Parkway, KY, USA, +1 859 259 276
The Mary Todd Lincoln House
The Mary Todd Lincoln House is a must-see for any American history lovers who finds themselves in Lexington. Steeped in details about the wife of Abraham Lincoln, Mary Todd Lincoln, the house is a great example of early 19th century architecture, as well as a reminder of the city’s past role in the civil war. Tours are available if you’d like to be guided through the history in each room.
Opening hours: 10am-4pm; Sunday: Closed
578 West Main Street, Lexington, KY, USA, +1 859 233 9999
Ashland – The Henry Clay Estate
This estate holds immense significance as the former home of Henry Clay, one of America’s most influential statesmen. Stepping onto the grounds, visitors are transported back in time, surrounded by stunning architecture and beautifully preserved gardens. The guided tours offer fascinating insights into Clay’s life and his impact on American politics. The knowledgeable staff ensures a memorable and educational experience. Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply seeking a tranquil and picturesque setting, Ashland is a must-visit destination.
Opening hours: Tuesday – Saturday: 10am-4pm; Sunday: 1pm-4pm; Monday: Closed
120 Sycamore Rd, Lexington, KY, USA, +18592668581
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.