Not just home to a certain fried chicken chain, the Bluegrass State also houses the Kentucky Speedway – a host of annual NASCAR, ARCA and Indy Racing League events since 2000. Get in gear by booking your Kentucky stay on Culture Trip.
Start your engines – or let the pilot fire up the plane – and get ready for a high-octane weekend at the Kentucky Speedway. Just a little south of the border Kentucky shares with Ohio’s Queen City, the Kentucky Speedway has played host to all manner of motorsports and local races. Don’t let the fun pass you by when you stay at one of these quick and easy hotels nearby.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stay at Ramada by Wyndham and you’ll be at the Kentucky Speedway before you pull your car out of first gear. You’ll need nothing more than free breakfast, the indoor pool and clean queen rooms to feel at home – and as Ramada has all three. With race day already on the books, use your remaining time wisely to taste how 11 generations of bootleg moonshining gave the Neeley Family Distillery overnight fame – once they started pouring right by the law.
No matter if you’re coming at the crack of dawn or the stroke of midnight, Sunrise Inn is always ready to welcome you with Southern hospitality. Your cute and cuddly critters – which includes your dog, cat and kids – are welcome to stay in your king room. If rain clouds overhead forewarn of a powerful storm, you’re in luck: a life-size Noah’s ark replica and zoo are nearby. Stroll two-by-two onto the deck and marvel at all of the animals coming along for the ride.
Cruise right off of Interstate 71 and you’ll be laying in one of Hampton Inn’s king rooms in no time. Gas, fast food and a liquor store surround the hotel – briskly giving you access to budget-friendly road trip necessities. Feeling like the runs at the Kentucky Speedway is a little too tame? Head a few miles west of Hampton Inn and watch buggies take on the Dirty Turtle Offroad Park.
Red Roof Inn is napping quietly on Slumber Lane, so it’s stating the obvious to say that you’ll get more than a few solid winks of sleep. When you’re ready and rested, you’ll skid into the Kentucky Speedway within a 15-minute drive from Red Roof Inn, but you need not drive as far for an enjoyable evening. The riverside town of Carrollton is half the distance from the hotel – and the homemade peanut butter silk pie at Welch’s Riverside Restaurant cannot be missed.
When it comes to convenience near Kentucky Speedway, Hampton Inn isn’t stalling out. Interstate 75 is parked right outside your window, as are countless restaurants and stores – and the free hot breakfast, WiFi, and indoor pool here are just icing on the cake. If sauce-on-steak is more your forte, you’ll want to drive up the road to Kellie’s Homestead for a bourbon-glazed New York strip or a plate of classic meatloaf topped with ketchup and smothered in beef gravy.
Comfort Suites has no problem with you taking a load off. Step through the front doors and the staff will help you up to your suite – so you can rest up before the race without lifting a finger. Of course, you didn’t come to the Bluegrass State just to sit in the bleachers. After the race, schedule a tee time at the Eagle Creek Country Club and see if you can keep up with the greens that are faster than the racecars.
Holiday Inn Express is the perfect stay when you’re only making a fast pit stop at Kentucky Speedway. Chow down on a complimentary hot breakfast before taking a quick dip in the pool or getting in that workout you’ve been skipping while away from home. Looking for a place to drink a beer without crossing the Ohio? Head up to the hip Covington neighborhood and view the Cincinnati skyline from Braxton Brewery.
You’ll get to Hampton Inn from CVG Airport so fast your ears won’t have time to pop. Just 20 minutes from the terminal, you’ll get unpacked and into their heated indoor pool in no time. Sleep in – the free hot breakfast will be waiting for you in the lobby – though you may want to head down early to see if any fellow racing fans are gearing up for a day at the Speedway. Need more sports in your life? Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark and Paul Brown Stadium are an easy 20 minutes drive away, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.