Fringed by the Appalachian Mountains and River Ohio, Kentucky is a fantastic holiday destination offering a varied alternative of things to do and places to visit, ranging from rivers and gorges to museums and fun attractions and hotels – now bookable on Culture Trip.
To name just a few highlights in Kentucky, discover the sandstone cliffs and formations of Red River Gorge – appealing to climbers of any level – or marvel at the history behind the legendary Fort Knox, one of the most renowned army posts in the US. If Kentucky is on your travel wish list, read on to learn where to stay when on your next visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ghosts, celebrities, presidents and a halo of legend surround the ambiance of the Seelbach Hilton – featuring the most luxurious suites in Louisville. The hotel takes pride in its modern amenities wrapped in a storied past and a distinct character. The Seelbach is the best place to experience the Kentucky Derby or to set on a journey along the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. In this Historic Hotel of America, the enchanting rooms feature a timeless European style, ample spaces and luxurious decorations. And when it comes to dining, you can choose from a breakfast restaurant to an authentically restored early 1900s bar.
Since 1923, this Kentucky landmark has welcomed guests with a style of its own. A landmark in town, the Brown Hotel resembles a fine Kentucky bourbon – never overwhelming and always entertaining. The building, with its characteristic Georgian-Revival façade, is a blend of Old World elegance and modern-day comfort. Rooms feature rich fabrics and classic decors, such as Mahogany pillow-top beds, an executive desk and an eclectic collection of artwork. In the nearby area, you can discover Louisville Slugger Museum – just 11 blocks from the hotel – or venture 7mi (11km) further to visit the Louisville Zoo.
Nestled in downtown Louisville – along the well-known Museum Row – this is a multi-venue contemporary art museum, as well as an award-winning 91-room boutique hotel and home to acclaimed Proof on Main restaurant. Spacious guest rooms feature high ceilings, large windows, exposed brick walls – and all are outfitted with custom-designed furniture, comfortable beds, and luscious bath amenities. The bar is a local favorite, featuring more than 120 Kentucky bourbons in a dramatic, lively space. The hotel also has a state-of-the-art spa for you to unwind and relax in.
With its unique waterfront location, the imposing Galt House building grants access to the best areas in town – as it’s located in the heart of Louisville’s business community, museum district, cultural center and Urban Bourbon Trail. Considered the largest hotel in Kentucky, its rich history dates back to the 1800s. However, today’s 1,310 contemporary guest rooms and suites welcome you with a collection of modern comforts and amenities. Galt House Hotel also features seven restaurants and lounges for delicious dining and cocktails – including an American Brasserie and a bourbon bar.
Vu Guesthouse is a luxury boutique hotel located in the historic Smoketown neighborhood of Louisville, minutes from downtown. The 34-room hotel stands on the premises of a former tobacco warehouse decommissioned in 1865. Chic and at the same time classy, the rooms offer premium bedding and robes and bathrooms with rainfall showerheads – while some suites also feature a spacious workspace. An added plus is the quaint lobby bar and hotel lounge area with its grand piano, an outdoor patio and a separate lounge room.
Hotel Covington is located in Covington, Kentucky – just steps from the Ohio River as well as downtown Cincinnati shops, restaurants and art venues. For your convenience, the hotel is only a 15-minute car ride from the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. Rooms are rich in character, detail and design – featuring comfy beds and luxurious bedding, a mini-fridge stocked with local goodies, and elegant bathrooms. On-site, there’s a sun-dappled patio and the beautiful Artisan Coffee Bar and Coppin’s Restaurant – with a unique but very local culinary idea behind its menu.
You’ll love this contemporary hotel in the heart of bourbon country, conveniently near to shops and restaurants – and just minutes from renowned bourbon distilleries, horse farms, and horse racing facilities. Offering a modern idea of Southern hospitality, this dog-friendly hotel has comfortable rooms with beautiful décor and thoughtful amenities. The on-site restaurant takes pride in its savory dishes infused with hints of bourbon and craft cocktails – and there’s a comprehensive fitness center and complimentary in-room yoga kit for your perusal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.