Famed for its central location in the days of the Wild West, Dodge City was once a hotbed of violence and gambling. About a decade after its official founding in 1872, the city renounced its gun slinging cowboys, Mexican bullfighters, and brothel owners, and became a sleepy Kansas town. Despite that, it has continued to hang onto one of its claims to fame, cattle ranching. Steak lovers rejoice, here are 10 great options for your next meal in Dodge City.zsw3v
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Casey’s Cowtown Club
Restaurant, American, Steakhouse, $
Founded in 1996, Mike Casey established his local restaurant as a leading location for great steaks in Dodge City. Casey’s Cowtown Club specializes in locally sourced Kansas beef steaks and other classic American cuisine. Kansas is a frontrunner in the United States’ national beef production, and this restaurant’s simple steaks are a testament to the state’s cattle ranchers. The design of the old-school restaurant will instantly take you back to the days of the old West. Try the Santa Fe steak, which is lean ground beef topped with melted cheese and sautéed vegetables, or the Dodge City Strip, made with beef raised and cooked in Dodge City.
Kate’s Bar & Grill
Bar, Restaurant, American, Pub Grub
From the street, it’s an unassuming restaurant, but Kate’s is exactly what you expect to find in Dodge City, a no-frills place with good home cooking, a refreshing cold beer, and friendly service. The bar and grill is a favorite among locals and passing travelers alike. Once inside Kate’s, enjoy a relaxed lunch in the company of welcoming locals and staff that make your table feel like family. Kate’s is known for its juicy burgers, often called the best in the city, and its delicious burritos and tacos.
Central Station Bar & Grill
Bar, Restaurant, Mexican, American, Steakhouse, $
Try one of Central Station’s three unique venues for a mix of food and fun. Dine in the warm and cozy full service restaurant and bar for a delicious dinner, watch a game at the lively sports bar, or head out to the dance floor on a Friday or Saturday night. The train-themed restaurant even offers dining in a vintage train’s dining car and fabulous food is made in the mesquite grill.
Prime On The Nine
Restaurant, Steakhouse, American, $
Located on Dodge City’s Mariah Hills Golf Course, Prime on the Nine is an upscale restaurant serving the finest local beef and hand-cut steaks. Chef Ryan Emery, a native Texan, enjoys cooking traditional Southern dishes with a modern flare, like a generous slab of chicken fried steak served with creamy jalapeño gravy. The huge floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the golf course set the scene for a beautiful meal. Try a seafood dish like Emery’s take on shrimp and grits, sautéed shrimp served on gouda grit patties with spinach and almond butter on top.
Saigon Café Bistro
Bistro, Cafe, Vietnamese, Asian, Vegetarian, $$
Saigon Café’s authentic Vietnamese food will please any palate looking to take a break from Dodge City’s love affair with steak. The pho noodles, vegetables, and meat served in a bowl of broth, is rich and flavorful, and the egg rolls are perfectly crispy and warm. The great lunch spot tends to be packed with people, but the service is efficient. Try the pork barbecued Vietnamese-style or the beef salad served with rice and garlic soup. Saigon Café is an establishment that is loved by the community in Dodge City.
d Ave. Lunch Co.
For a refreshing and wholesome lunch, try a house-made soup, salad, or sandwich at 2nd Ave. Lunch Co. The menu changes daily to incorporate fresh, seasonal produce. The café has great service and the food will leave you feeling full without overindulging. Daily specials include options like spinach artichoke grilled cheese, green chili corn chowder, hearty turkey and noodle soup, or a very veggie salad (a salad made up of every vegetable in the kitchen). Grab a drink from the infused water and tea bar, and after eating, head upstairs to shop at Boot Hill Antiques.
Osaki Steak & Sushi House
Restaurant, Japanese, Sushi, Asian, $
There is no better place in Dodge City for Sushi than Osaki. The Japanese cuisine is offered at great prices and service is quick and friendly. For starters, try the lobster rangoon, fresh salad with ginger dressing, or the warm miso soup. Follow your appetizers with an order of freshly prepared sushi, a hibachi combo, or a bento meal. Osaki’s restaurant was recently renovated and has an inviting atmosphere, but the food is also served to go.
Dodge House Hotel
Boutique Hotel Restaurant, Restaurant, American
Dine in the Dodge House Hotel for a white tablecloth dining experience in a saloon-style restaurant, fitting for the cowboy capital. Classic American food is served at bargain prices at the hotel restaurant. Try one of the tender, 21-day-aged steaks or the brisket sandwich. The friendly staff help make this classy restaurant your quiet getaway for the evening. For guests staying in the hotel, a hot breakfast buffet is provided free every morning.
Sarocha’s Thai Restaurant
Restaurant, Thai, Asian, $$
Established in 2006, the chefs at Sarocha’s serve authentic, delicious Thai cuisine. Try the expertly made dishes, like the spicy basil noodles or the hot and sour soup. The curries, red, green, massaman, and more, are the best in the area. Although the restaurant is humbly decorated inside, the freshly prepared food transforms the restaurant into an incredible dining experience. Reasonable prices and generous portions served in a friendly environment. For an even better deal, try Sarocha’s at lunch for the lunchtime specials.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.