Planning a trip to the Sunflower State? From the best hotel bar to catch Kansas University football games, to aparthotels for extended stays and convenient spots for business travelers, this is our pick of the best hotels in Kansas – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Kansas is known for its rolling prairies, Midwestern charm and for being the leading agricultural state in the country. But you’ll also discover a vibrant arts scene in Topeka, world-class museums and botanical gardens in Wichita and the acclaimed Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This charming hotel in Topeka, located just one block from the Kansas Capitol Building, is in a prestigious apartment complex that dates back to the 1920s. The rooms feature private city-view balconies and kitchenettes with a microwave and refrigerator, and can be leased by the month – making them ideal for extended stays. There’s also a fully equipped gym, as well as access to a communal lounge with a pool table and laundry facilities. Couples will love the spacious Bath Spa Suite, which features a king bed, dining room, sitting room and romantic spa bath for two.
The Cyrus Hotel, in downtown Topeka, is housed in a century-old building – and combines Midwestern charm with sophisticated urban style. The rooms and suites are rich in art deco-inspired detail – think fluted furniture and brass light fittings – and feature thoughtfully curated bars with local spirits and craft brews. After a day spent exploring the city’s best attractions, including Topeka Zoo and Kansas Museum of History, enjoy a grilled 16oz dry-rubbed ribeye with anchovy citrus brown butter sauce, or a comforting bowl of pasta, at Fedeli’s Steak + Pasta restaurant, then relax around the communal fire pit in the courtyard.
Looking for a hotel near Washburn University? The Hilton Garden Inn Topeka is less than 10 minutes from the University, as well as Topeka Zoo and the Hummer Sports Complex. The comfortable guest rooms feature all the comforts of home, including a Suite Dreams by Serta bed, a desk with ergonomic chair, mini-fridge, Keurig coffee maker and 50-inch TV. There’s also a 24-hour business center with complimentary printing, fax and copy machines for business travelers. When it’s time to wind down, do some laps in the indoor pool, or enjoy dinner in the Garden Grille & Bar.
Conveniently located off the I-70, near a number of offices and distribution centers for some of the biggest companies headquartered in Topeka, the Hyatt Place Topeka is ideal for business travelers. There are 126 pet-friendly rooms, which feature plush beds, minibars and the signature Hyatt Cozy Corner where you can relax in comfy soft seating. Looking to keep fit while you travel? The hotel has an outdoor pool and an impressive fitness center. Elsewhere, the lobby is home to the Placery, a popular restaurant serving up casual dining favorites, like burgers, chicken caesar salad and turkey pesto sandwiches.
This cozy hotel, next to the University of Kansas, is home to the Bird Dog Bar – one of the best places in the city to watch KU football. The hotel bar features big-screen TVs, a menu with game day classics such as Bavarian-style pretzels and buffalo wings, and it’s close enough to Memorial Stadium to hear the roars of the crowd. After the game, head to the Nest on Ninth rooftop terrace, where you can enjoy cocktails with a view of the city. If you’re looking for space to stretch out, the King Premiere rooms offer a king bed, pull-out sofa, soaking tub and bar area.
Conveniently located in Manhattan’s Aggieville neighborhood – the oldest shopping district in Kansas – and directly across the road from Kansas State University Campus, this hotel is designed with groups of family and friends in mind. The Double Queen Suites are particularly well-suited for everything from family getaways to bachelorette parties, with two queen-size beds, a pull-out sofa, separate living area and kitchenette. Get the party started at the Bluemont Bar, which has live music on the rooftop patio every Thursday evening. There’s also monthly drinks tastings of local beer, wine and spirits, and a shuffleboard league.
The Hyatt Regency Wichita, on the banks of the mighty Arkansas River, is conveniently connected to the Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center. The Center is the premier destination for consumer shows and meetings in Wichita, so it’s a good option for business travelers. It’s also home to several arts organizations, including the Wichita Symphony Orchestra and Wichita Grand Opera. Choose from contemporary 312sqft (29sqm) king or queen rooms, or splash out on the 572sqft (53sqm) one-bedroom suite. The spacious lodging features separate living and sleeping areas, making it suited to entertaining, and is furnished with a large desk.
Built in 1930 as a warehouse, this hotel in Wichita’s charming old town still boasts much of its original charm – think arched windows and an expansive atrium. It’s located just steps from some of the city’s best restaurants and attractions such as Botanica, Keeper of the Plains and Old Cowtown Museum, and is also conveniently nearby the corporate headquarters for Airbus, Koch Industries, Textron and Spirit. Want to immerse yourself in the neighborhood? Book one of the spacious suites, which boast views of the old town and city.
Transport yourself to Buckingham Palace or a Mayan rainforest all from the comfort of Kansas City – by booking one of the Adventure Suites at this award-winning, 61-room boutique hotel. Each room is playfully decorated with scenic feature walls and quirky details: the Tahitian Treehouse features enormous moai-style sculptures and painted palm trees, the New York Penthouse features graphic architectural details and art deco-style carpets, while the Jesse James suite is a wild west-style hideout. The rooms also boast LED-lit jetted tubs. The fun continues at the d’Nile Bar, which has an Egyptian theme. If you prefer your rooms with a more classic style, there are also sophisticated Luxury and Classic Suites.
Old-world charm takes centerstage at this historic hotel in Wichita. The hotel building dates back to 1926, when it was home to the Union National Bank and Dockum Drug Store. Almost eight decades later, it was transformed into an Autograph Collection Hotel with French-style decor. Rooms range from standard doubles to the appropriately named Rock Star Suite – a spa-like suite with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking downtown, a walk-in shower with body jets, a fireplace, dining table for eight and a fully equipped kitchen and bar. Make sure to book a table at Dockum, the speakeasy-style basement bar, which serves signature craft cocktails made with house-made bitters and syrups.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.