The city of Wichita, Kansas, is the cultural hub of the state, and that extends to its nightlife. As the city continues to grow, new spots have joined old favorites, with some capturing the spirit of the past and some embracing technology and looking to the future. For the best taste of local culture and history, take a look at these recommended bars in Wichita. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Harry’s Uptown Bar & Grill
Harry’s Uptown Bar & Grill has become an institution in Wichita. This bar is best known for its stiff drinks, including a Bloody Mary that certainly opens the eyes for a Sunday brunch. It is open for lunch, dinner, and late night but no matter what, the service will be friendly and fast. The patio outside is heated. Harry’s is truly a neighborhood bar and grill. For food, the steak fries are always an excellent choice to snack on while you enjoy a drink.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lucky’s Everyday has the character of a hole-in-the-wall dive bar. Though it’s located in the Old Town, it is off the beaten path, making it quieter and more local than touristy. Lucky’s is well-known for its support of the local arts, including hanging local artists’ work on the walls and booking local bands. For entertainment, there are pinball machines, a pool table, and a digital jukebox. The restaurant has a rather large beer selection as well as a fairly impressive list of whiskeys on offer; the friendly atmosphere is what makes Lucky’s a favorite.
Mort’s Martini Bar
Mort’s Martini Bar, located in Wichita’s Old Town district, specializes in martinis, with over 160 variations on offer. Favorites include the “Fallen Angel,” made with Irish cream, Dark Cream de Coca, and white chocolate. For those not looking for a martini, the full bar is extensive. In spring and summer, live acts play out on the patio six nights a week, though they move indoors for the fall and winter. The patio, which is heated, remains open year-round. Mort’s also offers plenty of cigars for aficionados.
With dark, rich woods offset by cream-colored walls, the Wine Dive offers contemporary cuisine to pair with its extensive wine list. Over 350 bottles are available, and the staff is knowledgeable and willing to suggest pairings. For those not interested in wine, there is a selection of beers, including Midwestern-brewed options to go along with the usual suspects. Meanwhile, on the food side, the Wine Dive serves lunch and dinner daily as well as a Sunday brunch menu. Steak frites au poivre is an excellent choice, served with wild mushroom marsala sauce and thinly sliced frites.
Barleycorn’s is as much a bar as it is a live music venue, and it’s quickly becoming one of the best places in Wichita for live entertainment. It plays host to local acts as well as relatively well-known musicians, and there are also open mic comedy nights. Drinks here are reasonably priced, with beer being the widest selection. Both draft and bottles are available. There’s a 30-foot bar that contributes to the hip and stylish atmosphere, and bartenders are welcoming.
Headshots Bar & Grill
Headshots Bar & Grill is Kansas’ first and favorite gaming bar. Though they have an impressive selection of both video games and board games, they also welcome patrons to bring in games of their own to play on the house consoles. The atmosphere is fun, casual, and open to both gamers and non-gamers alike. As might be expected, the cocktail menu is all video-gamed themed, with the “Rainbow Road” being a popular choice. The beer list includes plenty of American-brewed beers, including IPAs, porters, and Scottish-style ales. Expect finger food to snack on while gaming.
Located in Wichita’s historic Delano district, the Monarch has high ceilings and re-purposed décor, including a light made of old bicycle rims. The patio wraps around a significant portion of the building, creating an open and social setting. Sandwiches here are made with meat smoked in-house. As for drinks, the bourbon collection is truly impressive, including selections from Japan and the United Kingdom among other nations. Bourbon cocktails are also signature offerings, though the Monarch also has a large craft beer selection.
The Oasis Lounge has been a favorite in Wichita since opening its doors in the late 1930s. This is a classic dive bar, with a mix of standard and interesting beers to go along with the offerings of whiskey, schnapps, and bourbon. The Oasis is also famous for its award-winning burgers. If you’re feeling daring, go for ‘The Widow Maker’, which is made with Polish sausage, bacon, a fried egg, and your choice of cheese. There are also platters on offer. No matter what, the atmosphere will be warm and welcoming.
Deano’s Grill & Tapwork
Deano’s Grill & Tapworks is a great example of a sports bar that has a very relaxed atmosphere and nice décor. There are over 20 beers on tap, and more in bottle and can form. The staff here also serves cocktails like the ‘After-game Spa Water’, made with cucumber vodka and layered with soda water. As this is a sports bar, there are plenty of TVs showing both professional and college sports games. The décor includes signed sports memorabilia. Though the food includes typical bar fare, there are less predictable inclusions such as duck wings and artisanal pizzas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.