Lenexa is a part of the Kansas City metropolitan area and has its own vibrant culinary scene. There’s a strong emphasis on Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine and culture: here’s our guide to the best places to eat out in Lenexa.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que
Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Ques are scattered around the area, the establishment in Lenexa was the first. The rather retro original is located inside an old gas station in Lenexa. Joe’s renowned smoked meat and exceptional barbecue sauce make this place one of the most popular restaurants in the area. The menu consists of quintessential barbecue items like brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken along with a variety of sandwiches and other succulent smoked meats. Joe’s also offers catering services, and you can even buy a bottle or two of their sauce to take with you.
Holy Land Cafe
Holy Land Cafe serves up some excellent Mediterranean fare. Start your meal with the combo appetizer, which includes falafel, hummus, stuffed grape leaves and baba ganoush. The entrees consist of Greek and Tabouli salads, lentil soup, garlicky beef, chicken and lamb kabobs and shawarma. Finish the meal with a traditional, aromatic Turkish coffee. Holy Land Cafe also offers a large evening buffet for Ramadan gatherings and takeout.
Mi Ranchito fills up during the dinner hours and for good reason. This restaurant serves American Southwest and Mexican dishes. From the ‘Burrito Feliz’ to the Flautas and the espinaca dip, each dish is consistently outstanding. Meals are made to order so you can expect your food to be fresh and piping hot upon arrival to your table. Portions are very generous here and all sauces are made in house including the complementary salsa.
Minksy’s Pizza is a classic American pizzeria that serves other Italian favorites like gourmet calzones, spaghetti and meatballs, and alfredo. As for the pizza, try one of their creative specialties like the cheeseburger pizza. It’s a great spot to drink a beer and socialize with friends. This is an ideal spot to watch the baseball game on TV, and you can get all this for a reasonable price too.
Black Dog Coffeehouse
Black Dog Coffeehouse is a great spot for gathering, reading a newspaper, or catching up on some work. Its trendy industrial style interior is offset with warm tan color tones, which help to make the place inviting. There is an extensive drink menu replete with creative variations of coffee drinks and seasonal specialties. We recommend you try the almond joy frozen latte or the shatto milk hot chocolate. You can also enjoy a sweet treat made by their partner, Ibis bakery. Black Dog Coffeehouse has a great atmosphere and is full of happy customers. They also offer a variety of beans from Messenger Coffee Roasting Company that you can buy and brew at home.
Nazareth Sweets serves Turkish sweets filled with dates, walnuts and pistachios. There is a huge selection of crispy baklavas, maamouls, nut-filled ghraybehs, sweet kanaffehs, and powdered snow cookies. The staff will happily explain each cookie and pastry, and the owners are notably kind and friendly. We recommend that you enjoy your desserts with a Turkish coffee.
Blue Moose Bar and Grill
Blue Moose Bar and Grill draws a crowd, especially on game day. Lenexa is a city of sports fans for the Kansas City Royals, and this sports bar will give you a taste of this city’s culture. It’s a wonderfully casual spot for lunch and dinner with the iconic blue moose, which stands proud inside. Try the usual sports bar cuisine with a bit of local flair like the flagship burger, or the whipped cauliflower, which is a more imaginative and high-end variation of a mashed potato side.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.