Part of the Kansas City metropolitan area, Olathe, Kansas enjoys more of a community feel than its cosmopolitan counterpart. With a laidback, casual dining scene to match neighborhood joints, cozy cafés and home style diners. Here’s our guide to ten of the best restaurants Olathe has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Austins Bar & Grill
A friendly, family owned neighborhood joint, Austins Bar & Grill first opened its doors in 1987 and has since established itself as a favorite with local diners. With its modern sports bar ambience and steakhouse-style American fare, Austins Bar & Grill is the perfect destination for a laidback meal with friends. Try an appetizer of fried pickles with tangy chipotle sauce followed by entrées like certified Angus sirloin steak with sautéed vegetables, baked potato and garlic toast or lightly grilled Alaskan salmon served with wild rice.
The Salty Iguana
For first rate Mexican food in a fun and lively atmosphere, look no further than The Salty Iguana, which has five locations in the Kansas City metropolitan area including its popular Olathe branch. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, The Salty Iguana offers tried and tested Mexican favorites and a number of low calorie, specialty and child friendly options. Choose from appetizers such as jalapeno bean dip, made with refried beans and cheese, served in a crispy shell and Mexican specialty dishes like the green chili verde, a spicy pork served with refried beans, rice, lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream.
Serving creative, fresh sushi and Asian fusion fare alongside a number of premium sakes, Olathe’s Sake Lounge is a locally owned contemporary sushi restaurant. Executive chef Sean Lin, brings years of experience as a sushi chef and guarantees that Sake Lounge sushi is the freshest in the region. Innovative options include the yellowtail jalapeno with orange Yuzu sauce and pepper tuna tataki with ponzu sauce. Entrées include the quintessential American-Chinese dish General Tso’s chicken, deep fried chicken breast with broccoli and specialty sauce. Don’t forget to wash it all down with a drink from the extensive sake menu, like the TyKu Black, which has hints of peach and vanilla.
In business for over 40 years, Mom’s Kitchen is a family-owned restaurant offering guests hearty dishes in a warm atmosphere. Open from 6am most days, guests can kick start their day with breakfast dishes like steak and eggs, corned beef hash or biscuits with sausage gravy. The lunch menu includes plenty of burger, sandwich and salad options. Specialty plates include the deep fried catfish fillets with South western spices or Mom’s specialty pot roast made with succulent roast beef.
Haru’s Steak & Sushi
Offering guests a wide range of Japanese cuisine, including noodles, sushi, and teppanyaki, Haru’s Steak & Sushi is a modern restaurant specializing in unique Japanese fare served in a casual, friendly environment. Haru’s culinary director Tony Wu oversees an extensive menu that includes pork gyoza dumplings with ginger sauce, octopus salad with seaweed cucumber and soy-ginger vinegar, albacore tuna, salmon caviar and king crab. Alternatively, opt for a hibachi lunch or teppanyaki dinner and watch as Haru’s talented chefs cook your meal right at your table.
A cantina specializing in authentic and home cooked-style Mexican cuisine, Mi Ranchito is so popular that it now has several locations across the Kansas City metropolitan area. Olathe’s bustling Harrison Street is home to the original location, just a short walk from the beautiful Veterans Memorial Park. From its vibrant and lively atmosphere to its extensive list of margaritas, Mi Ranchito has established itself as a firm favourite with local diners and is widely considered to be the best Mexican in the city. Tamales, enchiladas, chimichangas and burritos are all local favorites.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.