From chic venues serving handcrafted cocktails to laid-back establishments featuring an extensive selection of brews, there are many enticing choices to enjoy a great night out in Iowa. Here is a list of some of the exciting options in Iowa that serve a great selection of your favorite drinks.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
1st & Main
This bar is a hip bar and restaurant serving delicious drinks alongside gourmet eats. Recently voted the best new restaurant in Dubuque, the venue, which is nestled inside a downtown historic building, features a beautiful space complete with exposed brick walls and beams and wood floors. There’s a large selection of beers and specialty drinks with highlights being the blueberry cake martini made with blueberry vodka, maple syrup and Frangelico and the Johnny Boy with Templeton prohibition-era Iowa whiskey and raspberry tea. As for food, the menu at 1st & Main features a range of dishes all of which are inspired by local flavors.
El Bait Shop
Located in Des Moines, El Bait Shop is an award winning bar that will appeal to any beer lover. Within a 1970s fishing-themed interior, beer aficionados have access to over 100 beers on tap plus an additional 175 in bottles ensuring that there is something to suit any taste. The ambiance is a lively one only made more vibrant through the venue’s events, including live music and the Jimmy Carter Happy Hour on Thursdays where samples from local home brewers are featured. El Bait Shop also offers guests a variety of cuisine from American to Mexican.
Front Street Brewery
Founded in 1992 and set along the Mississippi River, Front Street Brewery is the oldest brewpub in Iowa. A warm interior, complete with exposed brick walls and burnished wood, plus a lovely brick beer garden awaits guests who visit to try the brewery’s craft beers. Some of the brews here are the Cherry Ale, which is an American light beer aged with cherries, the German Hefeweizen with a banana and clove aroma, and the Vanilla Porter aged with Madagascar organic vanilla.
Another great place for a fun night out in Des Moines is Hessen Haus. This restaurant and bar, as the name suggests, is a German bier hall-style venue tucked inside a former train station. Guests visiting this lively place are presented with a menu that features an array of made-from-scratch fare alongside a great selection of beers, including domestic and German varieties. They have 31 selections on tap, another 163 in bottles, plus 13 cans, but these numbers are subject to change, so check their website for current selections. Adding to the fun environment is the venue’s many events, including live music.
Jameson’s Public House
Jameson’s Public House is an Irish pub founded in Waterloo. Presenting guests with ‘Irish warmth and hospitality,’ the owners have created an inviting space, complete with wooden accents salvaged from an 18th-century barn. Friends can gather to enjoy a host of drinks and pub eats, which include both Irish and American dishes. The bar features 18 beers on tap representing both domestic and Irish varieties, including Guinness and Smithwick’s, plus a great selection of Irish whiskey and Scotch. The pub also plays host to a range of events each month many of which are live music shows.
RōCA, which stands for Restaurant on Court Ave, is a lovely place to go out for a night on the town. The venue’s interior features 150-year-old exposed brick walls adorned with vintage photographs along with a sleek bar and modern furniture making it a wonderful blending of the old with the new. Within the vibrant atmosphere, guests can sample a variety of shared plates plus craft cocktails of traditional and specialty varieties, craft beers on tap, and a selection of wines. One unique cocktail to note is the ‘Smoking Gun,’ which combines Bulleit bourbon, maple syrup, Angostura bitters and wood chip smoke.
Established in 1972, Sanctuary Pub is an Iowa City-based venue delighting guests with its impressive selection of craft brews. The intimate, casual space with cozy booths, dark woods, and subtle lighting makes it a great place to unwind and have long conversations with friends. Voted the Best Beer Bar within Iowa two years in a row by Rate Beer, this pub features 27 craft beers on tap, which includes both American and imported varieties, plus many more selections in bottles. The pub also offers delicious food, including snacks, creative entrées, and pizza.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.