A proudly Iowan city on the shore of the Mississippi River, Davenport surprises visitors with its inviting and diverse culinary scene. From Italian, Mexican or Thai to breweries and American steakhouses, eating out in Davenport can be an ongoing feast. We pick the hot spots to try while you’re here.
Front Street Brewery
The oldest brew pub in Iowa, Front Street Brewery is the perfect place to enjoy a cold beer while visiting Davenport. Radiating ‘the charm that only history can impart’, the brew pub offers a varied selection of beers from the Old Davenport Gold, German Hefeweizen and Brewmaster Special to the sweet and unusual Cherry Ale and Vanilla Porter. The food menu matches the drinks with steaks, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, sandwiches and burgers; a great array of solid, all-American dishes perfect for a casual night out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bix Bistro specialises in ‘contemporary American cuisine’ with quality wines that earned it the ‘Award of Excellence’ from Wine Spectator for two years in a row. A local favourite, Bix Bistro is famed for its weekly Sunday Jazz Brunch with the Josh Duffee Jazz Quartet and its rich menu with highlights such as asparagus salad, Bosc pear salad, lobster bisque soup, Cuban burgers, meat loaf or Italian meat and mushroom pizza.
A great choice for Mexican cuisine enthusiasts, Chipotle is also a must-try for responsible food aficionados. Chipotle prides itself on its use of fresh, locally sourced ingredients, certified ingredients and a traditional cooking style. Its specialties include the stars of Mexican gastronomy: burritos, crispy and soft tacos, fresh chips and hand-mashed guacamole.
If you’re looking for tasty Italian dishes, Biaggi’s menu abounds in fresh appetizers, home-made pastas, pizzas and traditional seafood recipes; from fried ravioli or carpaccio to lobster corn chowder, sherry tomato soup, Sicilian meatballs and fettuccini with lobster. The rich menu is complimented by typical decadent Italian desserts including tiramisu, cannoli, baked cappuccino and, of course, creamy, addictive gelato.
Thunder Bay Grille
Thunder Bay Grille is one of the most beloved and local restaurants in Davenport. Its popular Sunday brunch brings to the table cheesy grits, fried shrimp, jambalaya, beef tips stroganoff, super-thick bacon, waffle bars and berries in yoghurt. On regular days you can indulge in their crab cake sliders, warm goat’s cheese salad or pepper-seared salmon salad, their signature chicken Tchoupitoulas and their tempting ‘small plates’: quesa fundido (melted cheese), tuna crostini, crispy calamari, buffalo wings, beer battered shrimp or coconut shrimp
Whitey’s Ice Cream
Known as the best place in town for ice cream, Whitey’s Ice Cream is an unmissable stop for frozen yoghurts and shakes too. A family business for over 80 years, Whitey’s Ice Cream was named ‘Best in Midwest’ and is a sure choice for those wishing to try a rich variety of upside-down shakes and malts. For the nostalgic, White’s Ice Cream offers the flavours ‘that started it all’ such as brownie, butter finger, black cherry, Oreo or Snickers.
Barrel House 211
Located in downtown Davenport, Barrel House 211 is one of the youngest restaurants in town, but an excellent choice to enjoy a great meal. Offering the complete American experience, Barrel House 211 aims to create ‘food that lifts your spirits’. This ambitious goal translates through a menu that includes chicken twists with blue cheese tossed in their signature ‘boom boom’ sauce alongside Barrel House’s signature draft beer.
One of the most popular restaurants in the Midwest, Machine Shed defines itself as a ‘tribute to the American farmer’. Opened in 1978, the Davenport location is the very first Machine Shed restaurant conceived to be not only ‘farm themed’ but ‘something that farmers could be proud of’ with consistently popular dishes such as beef brisket dinner, roasted stuffed Iowa chop or its themed fish fry Friday night.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.