Located along the Mississippi, Dubuque attracts flocks of tourists due to its remarkable river-scapes. The city’s restaurants are ready to welcome those tourists with memorable meals and, more notably, excellent and friendly service. Read our guide to discover Dubuque’s 10 best restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Spend a relaxing night and enjoy a delectable dinner in Dubuque’s restaurant Pepper Sprout. Locals love to grab a table at Pepper Sprout because the restaurant combines superlative food with a cozy, slow-paced atmosphere and friendly staff. Chef Kim Wolff crafts a new menu every season to ensure that only the freshest ingredients, sourced from regional producers, delight the taste buds of her guests.
Hotel Julien is a very elegant hotel in the Old Main District, a historical part of Dubuque and one of its most charming areas. The hotel was inaugurated in recent years after extensive renovations were completed, and with that, Caroline’s Restaurant opened its doors. Caroline’s eminently matches the hotel both in refinement and quality service. The design of the interiors, which slightly changes across the multiple dining rooms, includes such features as stained glass windows, beautiful carpets and luscious dark parqueting. The menu, inspired by several international cuisines, is filled with many diverse courses that ensure it remains an excellent choice for business meetings, family outings and romantic dinners.
L. May Eatery
Making reservations at L. May Eatery is highly recommended – this restaurant is so popular among Dubuque’s residents that walk-ins might have to wait a while before being seated, even on a Monday night. L. May’s secret is simple. The owners, siblings Lea and EJ Droessler, are always around to make sure that everything runs smoothly and that the guests feel as comfortable as if they were in their own home. Open for both lunch and dinner, L. May Eatery’s menu includes a range of appetizers, small plates, entrees, soups, salads, desserts and pizzas, and is therefore suited to either those looking for a hearty dinner or just a quick, light meal.
Copper Kettle confirms the rule that a book shouldn’t be judged by its cover. Sitting a little off the beaten track in a somewhat desolate area in Dubuque, when seen from outside, Copper Kettle looks quite unpromising – yet another good ol’ American bar. But take one step inside and that judgement will turn on its head. The restaurant boasts modern, hip interiors with a beautifully laid-back atmosphere, a great place to be in with good company while enjoying some delicious food. Copper Kettle serve simple, classic American fare, but every morsel is full of taste, and every dish well cooked and presented. Choose between a succulent steak, a fresh-cut salad or a mouth-watering burger or sandwich, and wash everything down with one of the many sensational craft beers on offer.
Ichiban Hibachi Steakhouse & Sushi Bar
Dubuque’s citizens should feel lucky that they have one of the best Japanese restaurants in the region close at hand. Ichiban tempts its clientele with a truly endless choice of appetizers, sushi, sashimi, rolls and hand rolls, every single one of them so good and enticing that customers will feel the urge to come back time and time again to work their way down the entire menu. The restaurant also serves Hibachi dinner, a style of cooking either meat or fish on a flat iron grill. Cooking the Hibachi way involves tall flames being ignited directly on the grill — the Hibachi chefs at Ichiban turn the operation into a small spectacle that never fails to amaze the enthusiastic diners. Good food, friendly service and a nice atmosphere make Ichiban one of the must-try restaurants in Dubuque.
Fans of gyros — the traditional Greek sandwich of rotisserie meats, salad vegetables, lettuce and tzatziki sauce wrapped in grilled pita bread — have one name to remember for their next trip to Dubuque. Zoro’s. This fast food joint serves the best gyros in town, prepared with pork, chicken or cheese. Whatever variant is preferred, customers will find in their hands a huge, delicious gyro that will keep them full for a good while, especially if they’ll have Zoro’s fantastic fries with the sandwich. Although gyros are the house’s specialty, Zoro’s also offers a range of no less tasty, typical fast foods such as hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken wings and hot dogs.
Zoro’s Gyro, 1400 Central Ave, Dubuque, IA, USA, +1 563 557 5071
Adobos Mexican Grill
Who wants a burrito? Get in line at Adobos’ burrito bar and wait for a fresh, exquisite burrito – try the Baja burrito, or the three-cheese variant – just like a restaurant back in Mexico would serve it. Adobos Mexican Grill is one of the best options for Dubuque’s residents to savor some authentic Mexican fare. Choose from the packed menu of burritos, nachos and tacos, or treat yourself to some amazing enchiladas without fear of being left disappointed. Adobos Mexican Grill gets extra points for its range of spicy salsas, starting from the just slightly spicy Sweet Tomato Red, to the burning hot El Diablo, made with bird peppers, onions and roasted garlic.
Dubuque’s Chocolaterie Stam — one outlet in a chain of stores across Iowa and the neighboring states — awaits the city’s chocolate junkies to spoil them with an irresistible selection of tantalizing sweets. The variety of bonbons puts self-control to an especially fierce test; who can resist such treats as the petite chocolate pastries filled with amaretto, buttercream, cognac cream or liquid caramel? Chocolaterie Stam is a century-old business with roots in the best of Dutch patisserie. Join this Old World spot enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while indulging in their sinful chocolates.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.