A fast growing city with small town charm, Ankeny is part of the Des Moines metropolitan area. A friendly place, the city offers many tasty restaurants that will sate anyone’s hunger. From laid-back, budget-friendly options to more upscale dining, here is a list of some of the delicious places to eat in Ankeny, Iowa.
The Bear Restaurant & Wine Bar
The Bear Restaurant and Wine Bar is a lovely venue, offering guests a casual yet fine-dining experience perfect for any occasion. Must-try options include the lunch favorite smoked prime rib Philly made with shaved prime rib topped with sautéed onions, roasted poblano peppers, and aged provolone all on a toasted hoagie and the Maple Leaf Farms duck seared with a sun-dried cherry sauce, crimini mushrooms, and roasted poblano peppers accompanied by grilled zucchini and wild rice.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cafe Diem is a family-owned café with a relaxing atmosphere perfect for hanging out with friends or getting some work done. As well as great coffee, the cafe also offers a wide range of snacks. Some of the tasty options visitors might find include scones, muffins, cinnamon rolls, and bagels, sandwiches, including the ever-popular chicken salad sandwich with a twist, plus soups and salads. Dessert can also be found in the way of freshly baked cookies.
Leaning Tower of Pizza
Founded in Des Moines in the 1960s, Leaning Tower of Pizza moved its operation to Ankeny in the 1970s. Within a bright, lively environment, complete with red-and-white checkered tablecloths, diners can sample homemade dishes from the restaurants famous pizzas to sandwiches and pastas, all made with the best ingredients available. Something to suit every taste, highlights include the veggie alfredo pizza topped with mushrooms, sweet red peppers, onions, and tomatoes plus alfredo sauce, Charlie’s pizza with Italian sausage, mushrooms, and green peppers, and mac ‘n cheese with a white cheese sauce.
Main Street Café & Bakery
A wonderful spot to enjoy a relaxing meal with family and friends, Main Street Café and Bakery specializes in tasty baked goods. The triple berry French toast or any one of the scrambles are great options to begin the day while the lunch crowd can enjoy a fresh salad, including the steak gorgonzola salad, sandwich, or naan flatbread, such as the veggie option with cream cheese, red onions, red peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheddar.
Sorriso Grille is a friendly place, specializing in American fare. Delighting guests with home-style dishes, this casual, family-owned and operated restaurant features a selection of comforting dishes that are sure to satisfy the hungriest of appetites. The bacon and eggs served with crispy hash browns and toast and the reuben sandwich with house-made chips get great reviews. Daily specials are available during the week with the hot beef sandwich topped with mashed potatoes and smothered with gravy accompanied by green beans being a popular choice. Desserts are often available as well.
Established in 1961 by Richard and Antonia Mosqueda, Tasty Tacos has grown to become a small, local chain within the Des Moines area. Featuring flavorful Mexican cuisine, this laid-back joint entices customers with its budget-friendly options. Known for their flour tacos, which feature a tortilla shell stuffed with meat or beans plus lettuce and cheese, the menu also offers corn tacos, enchiladas, burritos, nachos, salads and more. A host of side dishes are also available, including refried beans, Spanish rice, and guacamole and chips. For those with a sweet tooth, desserts, such as krispos or fried flour chips sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and served with honey, are also on the menu.
Waterfront Seafood Market
Fish and seafood lovers will enjoy the Waterfront Seafood Market with its fresh catches transformed into succulent dishes. Opened in 2008 by the Hanke family, the Market procures the freshest fish and seafood,it’s flown in, directly from fishermen when possible and makes everything to order. The blackened catfish with a choice of two side dishes, including sweet potato, rice pilaf, or steamed vegetables, or the potato-encrusted halibut served with a choice of sides are two excellent choices.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.