As one of the most affordable U.S. cities to live in, Indianapolis is a perfect place for family fun. Aside from affordable pricing, Indy is also bursting with family-friendly activities that are fun for kids of all ages (including kids at heart). From outdoor attractions to immersive, hands-on experiences, here are some of the best family-friendly activities in the Circle City.
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
This top-rated attraction is on just about every must-see list of activities in Indianapolis—and for good reason! This interactive children’s museum is the largest in the world, with over 472,000 square feet of fun. With rotating and seasonal exhibits such as All Aboard train adventure, Dinosphere, Playscape (a water play area), and ScienceWorks, there’s also something fun and educational going on at this whimsical museum.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Indianapolis Zoo
Get more bang for your buck at the Indianapolis Zoo, which also houses an amazing aquarium and botanical garden. Experience incredible exotic animals like giraffes, lions, tigers, orangutans, elephants, and much more while walking through the unique ecosystem habitats within this massive zoo. Visitors can also take advantage of unique offerings, such as the aquarium’s dolphin show, feeding the zoo’s birds, and even petting a baby shark. A mini roller coaster, face painting, concessions, and gift shop round out this incredible family-friendly attraction.
Indianapolis Zoo, 1200 W Washington St, Indianapolis, IN, USA, +1 317 630 2001
Go Ape! Treetop Adventure
This incredible treetop journey can be found deep within Eagle Creek Park. Enjoy zip lines, Tarzan swings, climbing ropes, canopy walks, and other sky-high obstacles throughout this gorgeous course that takes about two to three hours to complete. Families will also experience one of the most amazing rural views of forests and greenery in the city. While it’s family-friendly and safe, kids do have to be at least 10 years old to participate and must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets start at $38.
Go Ape! Treetop Adventure, 5855 Delong Rd, Indianapolis, IN, USA, +1 800 971 8271
Speedway Indoor Karting
Racing is a huge thrill in the Circle City, and families can experience the adrenaline rush of Indy’s favorite sport at this indoor karting facility. With two levels of road courses and a miniature superspeedway, there’s no end of options for all different racing levels at this indoor track. This raceway can even be rented out for private birthday parties and other family-friendly events. Junior racers must be at least eight years of age and 48 inches tall to participate.
Speedway Indoor Karting, 1067 West Main Street, Speedway, IN, USA, +1 317 870 3780
Why choose one family activity when you can enjoy all of your favorites under one roof? Incrediplex is an amazing indoor sports and fun facility that has something for everyone in your family to enjoy. With a bounce area, laser tag, arcade games, upscale bowling, rock wall, hardwood basketball courts, turf fields, athletic courts, tunnels, and a fitness center, the whole family will finally agree on how to spend a fun day out in the city.
Incrediplex, 6002 Sunnyside Rd, Indianapolis, IN, USA, +1 317 823 9555
Rhythm! Discovery Center
This one-of-a-kind drum and percussion museum sits inside of the Circle City Mall and offers interactive fun for kids and parents. This museum is especially gifted at delighting hard-to-please toddlers. Enjoy entertaining and educational tours throughout the museum where kids can touch and play the different percussion instruments. Kids will even learn how to make music with everyday objects.
Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park
Get outdoors and enjoy some of Indy’s best natural scenery at this incredible 100-acre city park. Filled with unique and eclectic exhibits, kids and adults will both love the whimsical displays within this park. Discover an Alice in Wonderland-style fairy tale in the Flock of Signs exhibit, behold Indy’s greatest basketball hoop of all time at the Free Basket exhibit, and climb all over a larger-than-life skeleton at the Funky Bones exhibit. There’s even an incredible swing made from a tree, called Chop Stick, worth exploring.
Fancy a comfortable place to rest after a busy day of activities? Check out the best family-friendly hotels to book in Indianapolis, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.