Bloomington is an incredible college city bursting with activities, shops, and restaurants worth exploring. It’s also within driving distance of many unique and incredible attractions within Indiana. If you’re looking to take a day trip from Bloomington, Indiana, you’ll love these five amazing options.
Brown County State Park
This delightful state park is arguably the most scenic in all of Indiana and is home to a variety of outdoor attractions. This outdoor paradise is often referred to as the “Little Smokies” because of its strong resemblance to the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. The park offers some of the best hills in an otherwise flat state, with over 16,000 acres of ridges, gullies, ravines, and hills to explore.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visitors can climb the 90-foot-tall (27.4 meters) Fire Tower for a unique look at this gorgeous park, which also offers a nature center, lodging (cabins and campgrounds), an indoor water park, horseback riding, and miles of beautiful trails. It’s a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life in Bloomington and enjoy a tranquil day surrounded by nature.
Brown County State Park, 1810 State Road 46 East, Nashville, IN, USA, +1 812 988 6406
This city retreat is full of incredible places to explore, from award-winning architecture to must-visit restaurants. Columbus is a mecca for some of the most fascinating examples of modern architecture in the country, such as the North Christian Church, First Baptist Church, Miller House and Garden, and the Republic building. You can take an unforgettable self-guided tour of these structures any time of year.
Columbus is also filled with outdoor sculptures and artwork, as well as the kidscommons: Columbus’ Community Children’s Museum. This museum is packed full of interactive exhibits that kids will love, as well as a rock climbing wall and nearby indoor playground.
When it comes to food, you can’t leave Columbus without trying Zaharakos, the historic ice cream parlor and soda shoppe that’s famous in this historic city. Enjoy classic American food (such as burgers and sandwiches) and decadent ice cream, milkshakes, and fountain sodas. You should also explore the incredible soda fountain museum on the second floor.
Nestled in the small town of Marengo, this incredible cave system is one of the most visited spots in Indiana. Marengo Cave offers two scenic tours of this five-mile-long (eight kilometers) cave: the Dripstone Trail (roughly one mile [1.6 kilometers] and 60 minutes long) and the Crystal Palace Tour (approximately .33 miles [0.5 kilometers] and 40 minutes long). This attraction also houses a crawl simulator, gemstone mining attraction, and personalized cave-exploring adventures (with reservations).
Marengo Cave, 400 East State Rd 64, Marengo, IN, USA, +1 812 365 2705
This artistic community offers a unique adventure in southern Indiana. Stay and dine at the historic Story Inn, a restaurant and inn rumored to be haunted and filled with quaint charm. Spend the day exploring Nashville’s many treasures, from tiny shops to historic buildings, by hopping aboard the Nashville Express tour train.
Or walk around by foot to get a real sense of this eclectic community. You’ll find antique stores, home décor shops, quaint restaurants and eateries, a fudge shop, ice cream store, wineries, and much more. There’s even a small theatre located in the downtown area where you’re likely to catch an exciting show or performance.
This beautiful ranch offers a scenic getaway from city life. Enjoy a quiet stay in the on-site lodge to take advantage of their numerous outdoor activities. Enjoy thrills while zip-lining and experiencing ATV adventures.
Animal lovers are in for even more of a treat. Wilstem Ranch is home to one-of-a-kind elephant encounters, where guests can pet and even bathe these exotic creatures. Wilstem also now offers giraffe and kangaroo experiences, as well as a small petting area featuring other incredible animals.
Wilstem Ranch, 4237 W Us Highway 150, Paoli, IN, USA, +1 812 936 4484
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.