The small city of Columbus in Indiana boasts incredible buildings by the likes of I.M. Pei, Richard Meier, and Deborah Berke and also has a thriving art scene and many great restaurants. Here is a must-try list of some of the most delicious spots if you want to explore further.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
4th Street Bar and Grill
If you want to experience what being local is all about, then head to 4th Street Bar & Grill. Established in 1981, this venue is a popular neighborhood joint where friends and family gather for friendly conversation, good eats and great drinks. Within a laid-back atmosphere, visitors can chow down on tasty options such as grilled polenta with wild mushrooms; Korean BBQ mahi mahi with seasoned rice and vegetables; and the eponymous 4th Street burger topped with sautéed mushrooms, smoked bacon, Swiss and American cheeses. The menu also offers small plates, soups, salads, wraps, sandwiches, pizzas and desserts. Plus, you’ll have plenty of drink options to wash everything down. The grill is open Monday through Saturday.
If you’re looking for authentic Indian cuisine, then add Apna Kitchen to your list of dining destinations in Columbus. Stepping into the open, warm and inviting interior space, you’ll be greeted with the incredible aroma of the exotic spices used in their recipes. The menu is large with everything from soup and appetizers to entrées featuring meat, poultry and seafood to vegan and vegetarian plates to Indo-Chinese specialties. Start off your meal with some vegan samosas before tucking into a plate of lamb korma with a side of garlic naan. There is also a selection of mouthwatering desserts available along with intriguing drinks such as the mango lassi. Apan Kitchen serves lunch and dinner Tuesday through Sunday.
Blackerby’s Hanger 5
Blackeby’s Hangar 5 is a friendly café and catering company that specializes in tasty American eats the way comfort food should be. The establishment overlooks the airport runway, making it the perfect spot for the aviation enthusiast. The welcoming ambiance is enhanced by the cheerful staff. Serving breakfast and lunch daily, the restaurant’s menu offers hearty portions of specialties such as The Voyager, a scramble with fresh spinach, mushrooms, chicken, and cream cheese topped with hollandaise, and layer breakfasts such as The Skyhawk Pie, featuring potatoes, two basted eggs, sausage, green peppers, onions and cheese smothered with sausage gravy.
Henry Social Club
The Henry Social Club is the place to go if you’re seeking a more upscale night out on the town with friends or that special someone. No stone was left unturned when creating this downtown restaurant; from the exquisite food created by Chef Gethin Thomas to the interior design, complete with Eames chairs and mirrors from 1921. Serving dinner Tuesday through Saturday, the current seasonal menu features highlights such as the Caravaggio pizza with wild mushrooms, basil, mascarpone, garlic, lemon, and parmesan, and the grilled New York strip steak with the delicious flavors of tarragon, shallots, roasted potatoes in duck fat, wild mushrooms, watercress and tomato. Don’t forget dessert; try Sophie’s Butterscotch Pudding with candied hazelnuts and whipped cream.
Papa’s Grill is a lively restaurant serving up tasty American food within a laid-back environment. Pair an order of breaded pepper jack cheese cubes or fried pickles with chipotle ranch dipping sauce. Or go all out and order the Diablo Burger topped with pepper jack cheese, fried jalapeño peppers, and bacon with a side of Buffalo hot sauce. If you’re seeking something lighter, you’ll find fresh, crisp salads on the menu too.
Sogno Della Terra
Sogno Della Terra is a delightful bakery and coffee shop located in downtown Columbus that specializes in both sweet and savory baked goods, freshly baked bread and delicious coffee. Open Monday through Saturday, Sogno Della Terra offers other goodies such as house-made soup, including the comforting creamy potato soup or chicken vegetable, and flatbreads topped with delicious ingredients such as oyster mushrooms and cheese or beef and onions.
Ye Olde Fish House
Ye Olde Fish House is a legend on Columbus’ dining scene, having served generations of families for over 75 years. Located in a blue building, this friendly haunt keeps it simple with a small menu, but that doesn’t mean the flavors are simple. Sandwiches include a fish or tenderloin sandwich, delicious sides include classics such as fried potatoes, creamy slaw, macaroni ’n’ cheese or potato salad. All served weekdays only.
A popular independent pizzeria, ZwanzigZ Pizza has won numerous awards over the years, and for good reason. From appetizers to specialty pies to build-your-own varieties, the menu is uniformly delicious and incredibly varied. Start out with some cheese sticks served with garlic butter before ordering the Lasagna Pizza topped with ricotta, provolone, mozzarella and white cheddar cheeses, Italian sausage, and tomato sauce.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.