The district of Ala Moana offers world class shopping, entertainment and gorgeous scenic sights. Although small in size, Ala Moana is the home to the largest open-air shopping center in the world! It also has the privilege of hosting gorgeous, pristine beaches, a wide variety of outdoor sports opportunities, and incredible culinary experiences to boot. Check out the top 10 things to do and see while exploring this corner of Oahu!
Ala Moana Center
The Ala Moana Center is the largest open-air shopping center in the world and the seventh largest mall in the United States. The center feels like a natural extension of Hawaii’s beauty with its open design and abundant vegetation and is a far from being one of those conventional malls. Ala Moana features over 290 merchants of luxury brands and local specialty stores, as well as fine-dining and an international food court. The center also transforms into a Hula show Monday through Saturday at the Centerstage, where the traditional Hawaiian dances erupt in all their glory.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ala Moana Beach Park
The Ala Moana Beach Park is the other main attraction of the neighborhood. Travelers and locals come here to get away from touristy Waikiki Beach and enjoy the peaceful scenery that abounds. There are jogging and biking trails, tennis courts and amenities for every outdoors sports activity going. The beach is a mile long and has calm blue waters instead of the wavy ones found across on the North End. However, it is perhaps the spectacular sunsets that draws quite so many people to this peaceful park in the evening!
Hawaii’s Children Discovery Center
This is a great option for families looking to immerse their kids in a fun environment while learning about the world around them and the natural wildlife of Hawaii. Children here can dress up and pretend to be a firefighter, a judge or a store clerk for the day to learn about different professions. They can also climb a tree in the Rainforest Room, or play with a water table that simulates ocean currents. The possibilities are endless! Yes sir, there are wonderful discoveries awaiting for the whole family at Hawaii’s Discovery Center.
MTB, Mai Tai Bar, is an open-air bar placed on the very top of the Ala Moana Center that serves refreshing tropical drinks and offers excellent happy hour deals. This award winning bar was voted 1st place in the best bar category by the Honolulu Pulse Awards. MTB gives patrons a true taste of island living with drinks such as the lava flow infused with coconut rum and its phenomenal live music. Make sure to also get a side order of the zesty calamari appetizer to pair with a drink. A good time is always guaranteed here!
Dive into the watery underworld of Hawaii by taking a scuba diving lesson! The instructors at Rainbow Scuba are top-notch and will make customers feel safe at all times. The lessons have a laid-back attitude to them while still remaining professional. Beginners or more experienced and trained divers can enjoy a lesson from the instructors here. They will explain everything about the different fish and the marine life to be found below the depths of the surface. Some of the sea creatures visible are turtles, octopus, sharks, and rays, so remember that underwater camera for this one!
Maggie Joe Sport Fishing
Try something new by going deep sea fishing on the island of Oahu! Maggie Joe Sport Fishing was first established in 1950 and is the oldest and most experienced charter fishing business based in Honolulu. They provide customers with state-of-the-art equipment in order to catch some big game. It’s not unusual for yellowfin tuna, skipjack tuna, mahimahi, blue marlin and wahoo to be caught in these waters, meaning there’s plenty to get excited about when heading off on an excursion with these guys!
Kaka’ako Waterfront Park
The Kaka’ako Waterfront Park is also known as Point Panic Park because it’s the home to a popular bodysurfing spot just located off the shore at its east end. It’s hard to imagine this wonderful waterfront park was also once the former site of a landfill because what lies here now is a vast and spacious area perfect for a barbecue or a picnic, or just a relaxing day under the sun. Kaka’ako is also a popular diving location and a romantic setting for couples thanks to the spectacular views and the lovely sunsets.
Rumors Dance Club
What’s a trip to Hawaii without dancing the night away” Rumors Dance Club is one of Honolulu’s hottest nightclubs and is located right inside the emblematic Ala Moana hotel. The music here is great, featuring hits from the 70s, 80s, and 90s decades for “Flashback Saturdays”. The stage also has two dance cages for those looking to show off their moves above the rest of the crowd. Go back in time for a few hours and feel the best of Hawaii’s vibes while getting comfortable in this unique club. Aloha!
Vintage Cave Honolulu
Vintage Cave in Honolulu is a culinary experience like no other on the islands of Hawaii. Located below the Ala Moana Center, customers will enter a cave-like environment leading to an elegant room decorated by Picasso paintings, glamorous chandeliers and fine crystals. The menu offers new American fare with Japanese-inspired elements, while the owner of Vintage Cave is an art collector who wants guests to experience a combination of both beautiful art and exquisite food to create a one-of-a-kind treat for the senses.
Magic Island Lagoon
The Magic Island Lagoon is a hidden treasure usually reserved for in-the-know locals. Located off one end of the main Ala Moana Beach Park, this idyllic beach is perfect for relaxation. The views from the lagoon are some of the best on Oahu and offer a direct view of the Honolulu skyline and to the boats that constantly come in and out of the adjacent marina. This is also an ideal location to catch a great view of Diamond Head and of the weekly fireworks show the Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on every Friday.
By Edgar Catasus
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.