One of the most popular island destinations in the world, Hawaii is known for its endless blue skies, relaxing sandy beaches, and sparkling ocean waves. It’s no wonder that Hawaii’s restaurants serve up some of the most amazing and delectable fresh seafood around. From buttery sashimi to tasty poke to Korean-spiced fish; establishments built upon relationships with local fishermen make Honolulu a seafood lover’s paradise.
Nico’s Pier 38
Known as Honolulu’s premier fish restaurant, Nico’s Pier 38 features fresh fish caught by the local fleet, hand-picked daily by Nico and his expert fish buyers. All of the food served at the restaurant is locally grown and sourced whenever possible. Started by two local fisherman and the young French born chef owner Nico Chaize, the restaurant brings its patrons closer to the boats, the fishermen, and the unique Honolulu auction where the premium fish comes from. Nico’s began as a pioneering tiny plate lunch place, serving fresh fish at a great price. The restaurant now serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, along with live entertainment. It has a full bar, outdoor lanai, and a fish market with fresh fish, pokes, poke bowls, Nico’s Pier 38 special dressings and the prices are still great.
Nico’s Pier 38, 1129 N Nimitz Hwy, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 540 1377
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Reno Henriques, chef and owner of Fresh Catch, has worked to perfect his local style dishes, and at Fresh Catch, he offers residents and visitors the best seafood and meats prepared Island Style. Patrons rave about the wide selection of delicious fresh poke, including favorites like the salmon poke, shoyu ahi poke, firecracker poke, and garlic ahi poke, just to name a few. Everything is so fresh that it melts in your mouth, and many customers even buy a pound to take home. Customer service is top notch, and they allow guests to try as many pokes as they want to help to make a decision. They also offer an amazing fresh and flavorful Furikake Ahi seared perfectly, as well as the popular Furikake Salmon, Ahi Katsu, and fish tacos.
Fresh Catch, 3109 Waialae Ave, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 735 7653
Kyung’s Seafood serves only the freshest top grade sashimi and poke, a variety of local cuisine mixed with a touch of Korean flair, and an assortment of beer and wine. Open from morning until late, Kyung’s serves up a number of delicious lunch and dinner specials, along with a fun extended happy hour that runs from 11am to 7pm. Patrons love the sashimi platter, which comes with ahi, salmon, and hamachi, all in perfectly cut blocks as smooth as butter. Other favorites include the poke, the seafood pancakes, hamachi kama, and the seafood tofu soup. The interior is a bit small, so calling ahead is a good idea, but on the plus side, it’s a great place to go if you’re looking to avoid hoards of tourists.
Kyung’s Seafood, 1269 S King St, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 589 1144
Mitch’s Fish Market & Sushi Bar
A family-owned sushi bar established in 2004, Mitch’s Fish Market & Sushi Bar offers unique specialties that include live lobster, live abalone, and the best toro found in Hawaii, as well as a wide assortment of fresh fish from all over the world. Owner Craig Mitchell and his father Mitch moved to Hawaii from South Africa, where they had been fishermen, and established what is now Mitch’s Fish Market & Sushi Bar. With Craig’s supply of fresh fish and the remarkable skill of master chefs Hideo Mitsui and Masakazu Murakami, every meal at the restaurant is a memorable one. Some of their most popular offerings include the lobster sashimi, the toro, the abalone, the van van, the uni, and the California rolls. The place is small and located near the airport, but the incredible fresh melt-in-your-mouth seafood alone makes Mitch’s worth the visit.
Mitch’s Fish Market & Sushi Bar, 524 Ohohia St, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 837 7774
Nearly every local knows Ono Seafood as the go-to place in Honolulu for truly exceptional poke. Offering traditional super ono ahi and tako poke, Ono Seafood only uses fresh, premium ahi that is never frozen. They serve made-to-order poke by the pound as well as poke bowls, and even sashimi platters that you can pre-order. The menu also includes local favorites like dried fish and shrimp, pickled mango, poi, boiled peanuts, and soy beans. Though the place is hidden on the outskirts of Honolulu and the space is small, it is not a long walk from Waikiki, and people flock from all over to come to Ono for the amazing fresh poke, the most popular of which is the spicy ahi, served over white or brown rice along with a classic can of Hawaiian Sun. It is a takeaway place, and there are only a couple picnic tables out front that are almost always already taken, but everything is a great deal for fantastic portions, and the service is always great. Whether you’re a local or a tourist, Ono is one place that is worth making the effort to visit.
Ono Seafood, 747 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 732 4806
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.