Celebrity retreats, want-for-nothing family resorts, and tropical B&Bs – the Aloha State welcomes all types of travelers with open arms. Whichever vacation you have in mind, rest your head at one of the best hotels in Hawaii.
Fronting an exclusive strip of a volcanic rock-studded tropical beach, this magnificent, manicured Wailea resort is as Hollywood as it is Hawaii. Multiple palm-shaded pools form a living modern-art installation, while the on-site spa has a Maui mud bar and rain showers that simulate Hawaiian storms. Follow up a day of canoeing and hula lessons with Hawaiian fusion food at Kō, whose specialties include seafood lau lau and Filipino pancit noodles, or the catch of the day from Nick’s Fishmarket Maui.
Can’t decide where to go in Hawaii? This member of the Westin group is a chain hotel in name only, sporting locally inspired wood fixtures, a sybaritic spa, and one of the island’s best restaurants. Overlooking the ocean, Meridia restaurant serves Maui venison and a cataplana of shrimp, clams, and wild boar sausage. Post-dinner, sink into your freestanding tub, or enjoy tropical breezes on the balcony. While nearby Hapuna Beach is one of Hawaii’s most popular, the northern stretch in front of the hotel is relatively secluded.
Spread across 15 acres (6ha) of tropical gardens less than 2mi (3km) from the Wailea coast, this five-star resort is one of the best places to stay in Hawaii. Trees are one with the architecture here – arcing over the pool, shading your pineapple pancake breakfast, and framing views of breaching whales from your window. Staff address guests by name and stage a lei greeting and champagne toast on arrival. There’s little need to leave, but if you do, a shuttle will take you to Wailea Beach in around five minutes.
There’s nothing cookie-cutter about this boutique hotel, which employs Hawaiian designers to create the lamps, upholstery, and ceramics. Renowned Kaimuki chef Ed Kenney heads the Mahina & Sun’s restaurant, serving local, ethically sourced fish and fresh tropical cocktails. Rooms continue the luau vibes and have private lanais or verandas. You’re a few blocks from the shore here, but a cab will bring you to the Waikiki beaches in minutes.
Hugging the slopes of the Hualālai volcano, this secluded B&B has only six rooms but 30 acres (12ha) of tropical fruit orchards to explore. You’re in the heart of the coffee belt here, making farm tours and tastings a cinch. Relax on loungers by winding garden paths, sink into the whirlpool tub or just enjoy the harmony of the all-wood interiors. Breakfasts include passion fruit-stuffed french toast and coffee straight from the estate; for dinner, the village of Holualoa has a few casual eateries.
While this family-friendly Waikoloa resort may resemble a theme park at first glance, don’t be fooled; there’s highbrow entertainment for grown-ups. Sculptures from around the world line the museum-like corridors, while the huge spa offers Hawaiian lomilomi massages. Relaxed days can also be spent ambling across two championship golf courses. You could even fill a week hopping between its many dining options or plunging into the lava-rock lagoons – some of which are home to honu, Hawaiian green sea turtles.
Forget your idea of a typical Hawaiian hotel – Hotel Renew brings a brooding De Stijl vibe to the Waikiki strip, with art zines and mini-fridges provided in every room. Staff will greet you with Hawaiian herbal iced tea, a chilled lemongrass-scented towel, and the chance to pick a custom room fragrance. Breakfasts are healthy continental – try the apple-carrot juice. And the location is ideal, between urban coffee shops and restaurants and the serene, green Kapi‘olani Regional Park.
Opened by Laurance S Rockefeller in 1965, the Mauna Kea’s modern interiors pop with the American businessman and conservationist’s signature orange. Head out to nearby Kauna’oa Beach, challenge your companions to tennis and golf or appreciate Rockefeller’s vast Hawaiian art collection. Each room has a balcony, bathrobes, and slippers. The Manta seafood restaurant is named after the manta rays that you can spot from a lit promontory after dark.
Looking for more accommodation in Hawaii? Whether you’re exploring the bustling capital of Honolulu or the emerald valleys of Maui, discover our curated Hawaii hotel guides; from chic boutique stays that pack a punch in charm, to palm tree fringed beachside boltholes and all-inclusive luxury resorts with all the trimmings – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.