Want to go stand-up paddleboarding with your pooch or let Fido have fun on Hawaii’s best beaches? We’ve hounded down places to stay that welcome four-legged friends (and their owners) on the island of Oahu.
Cue the tail wags: guess who is going on vacation? Hawaii is an excellent holiday hotspot to bring your beloved pooch. While not all beaches on Oahu allow dogs, there’s plenty of open spaces and outdoor activities for you to do together. Plus, you won’t have to compromise on accommodation, as these pet-friendly hotels promise to keep both human and four-legged friends happy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Travelers seeking some coolness can now bring their pets to Hotel Renew. Two dogs are allowed for a modest fee, and while they can’t be left unattended, there are loads of pet-pleasing extras (comfy dog beds, treat bowls and yummy snacks) to keep them happy. While rooms don’t have balconies or outdoor spaces to roam, there are dedicated pet-friendly rooms, and the grassy Kapiolani Park is nearby to let your furry friend run free.
A welcoming spot for pups and their paw-rents, the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach allows dogs up to 50lb (23kg) for an additional fee. Unlike some other properties, this place will allow you to leave your dog unattended in the room, so Fido can get comfy on the compact lanai (porch) or in the cosy living space. Housekeeping will not enter during the time you’re out, so be sure to leave a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. There’s a grassy area for pets to do their business on the property, but otherwise, dog-friendly Royal Moana Beach is a 20-minute walk away.
This idyllic hideaway welcomes your fur child with open arms and a welcome treat. Both dogs and cats are permitted, and they’ll accept two pets up to 70lb (32kg) for an additional charge. While there’s ample space on the property for them to explore, they’re not allowed to roam free. On the upside, there’s a designated pet-park area, and nearby Kaneohe Bay is an excellent area for a spot of pet-and-master stand-up paddleboarding. Be sure to book a room that’s one of the five designated to accommodate pets.
Every man and his best friend can bring, well, their best friend along. There are no limitations on where your dog can roam in this eight-bedroom oceanfront villa, and there’s no additional fee charged either. It’s also walkable to beaches (Laie, Laniola and Mahakea) where leashed dogs are welcome in all areas, and there are canoes and kayaks on the property, so you can go out on the water together.
This condo dwelling with resort-style amenities is a choice spot if you’re bringing your beloved pet on holiday. With a full kitchen inside and stores such as Foodland and Costco nearby, you’ll be able to prepare your pooch’s favorite meals. Two pets are allowed per room, and the inn prefers if you stay with your pet at all times.
Not only is this urban space one of the coolest places to stay in Waikiki; it’s also incredibly pet-friendly. Custom amenities, doggy beds, water bowls and a chew toy are just some ways the Laylow welcomes you and your furry buddy. You won’t need to be stuck with your pet 24/7: so long as it’s crated, pets can be left unattended in the room. The friendly staff are also able to give recommendations on which beaches are open for Fido to have some fun.
Don’t feel hurt if the staff at the Surfjack treat your pet as much as they spoil you. Dogs up to 80lb (36kg) are welcomed for a fee at this trendy urban bolthole. There are many Instagrammable spots for your pooch to take some vacay snaps, and he/she will be allowed to keep you company poolside, during one of the Surfjack’s regular film sessions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.