When April rolls around, the Big Island becomes a mecca for lovers of hula and Hawaiian culture. Locals plan their aloha print outfits long in advance and struggle to acquire tickets to one of the most beloved events of the year—the Merrie Monarch Festival.
The festival’s namesake, King David Kalākaua, once famously said “Hula is the language of the heart. Therefore the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.” Now celebrated for over 50 years, the festival was originally created to increase tourism to the Big Island. Instead, it evolved to carry out a far deeper purpose and become the world’s biggest and most prestigious hula festival.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The story begins when Hawaiian language and culture were oppressed in the mid to late 19th century. King David Kalākaua, nicknamed the “Merrie Monarch,” fought to revitalize his dying culture and a period of Hawaiian Cultural Renaissance emerged as a result. In this spirit, the annual weeklong Merrie Monarch Festival celebrates the Hawaiian culture and perpetuates the art of hula through various events. Most notably, events include the Hawaiian arts fair, local live entertainment, parade, and world-renowned hula competition.
The ancient art form is still extremely popular today with hālau (hula schools) coming to attend the competition from across the globe. Those who are able to score a coveted ticket to the competition anxiously await the performances. Each year marks a new battle for the title of best hālau in a spectrum of categoriesand for best dancer in the world. The annual judges are comprised of esteemed musicians, kumu hula (hula teachers), Hawaiian language experts, and academics of Hawaiian culture.
To prepare for the competition, young women aspiring to be the next Miss Aloha Hula train for years to perform hula kahiko (traditional old-style hula), ʻauana (modern hula), and oli (chanting) onstage with the hopes of being crowned with the most prestigious award of the festival. Aside from serving as a hula dancer’s dream, to perform is a considerable honor to the hālau, kumu hula, and all the islands. The winner is interviewed on local TV channels and celebrated for months to follow. She will also appear on her own float at the annual King Kamehameha Day parade.
Edith Kanakaʻole Stadium—the location of the competition—isn’t the only place abuzz. The streets of Hilo are also full of excitement during the festivities and locals love to show off their unique street styles. Papale lauhala (woven hala tree hats), haku lei (head lei), Hawaii inspired jewelry, and pieces by local up-and-coming fashion designers can always be spotted during the event. If you’re there, it can be just as fun to people watch as it is to attend one of the many events.
This year’s Merrie Monarch Festival will be held through April 7 and promises all of the excitement and tradition of years past.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.