Famous for its surfing culture, Honolulu also boasts a dining scene that offers a range of options, from Korean, Japanese and Chinese foods, to exquisite cuisines from other corners of the globe. This Hawaiian spot really has something for everyone’s taste buds. An updated version of our previous list, here are the 10 best cultural restaurants in Honolulu you shouldn’t miss.
© Library of Congress/WikiCommons
Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas
With a contemporary European-Asian fusion cuisine, a traditional Hawaiian décor and location in the heart of Honolulu, Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas is a great spot where guests can choose from Hiroshi’s regular or large tapas, influenced by either Asian or European cuisine. Among the favourites tapas are the sizzling Hawaiian Kampachi carpaccio, a combination of julienned ginger, Wow Farm tomato coucasse, along with Mrs Chea tofu. When it comes to the larger tapas, Hiroshi’s menu offers a selection of mahi mahi with crispy skin, or the local fish, along with traditional desserts and crafted martinis.
Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas, 500 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 533 4476
House Without A Key
For an informal dining experience at any time of the day, House Without A Key is the place to go. The restaurant’s name is derived from the infamous 1925 Charlie Chan novels and films. Located in the Halekulani resort, the restaurant offers its visitors indoor and outdoor seating, where they can enjoy the Waikiki Beach breeze and the romantic location; all this, while savouring unique recipes, such as the loco moco braised short rib, served with Hamakua mushrooms, rice and fried eggs, or the chicken curry, steamed and served with mango chutney. Visitors can indulge in a wide variety of local and international wine as they enjoy live Hawaiian entertainment.
House Without A Key, 2199 Kalia Rd, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 923 2311
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A combined bar and grill serving the best of Japanese teppanyaki cuisine, Jinroku Pacific is a place where Japanese simplicity and class meet. With its Aloha Spirit service, Jinroku Pacific’s menu provides its guests with authentic Japanese-inspired combinations, such as the prime New York strip or the prime filet mignon, served with grilled vegetables. In addition to the teppanyaki dishes, Jinroku offers a variety of signature Japanese fried-rice dishes, accompanied with traditional desserts and drinks.
Jinroku Pacific, 2427 Kuhio Ave, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 926 8955
Its casual surfer-style atmosphere and open-air terrace make Lulu’s Waikiki a highly recommended place to visit, its menu filled with recipes to be served at any given time of the day. Lulu’s guests have the choice to savour a traditional breakfast such as the Grecian Sunrise, or the Big Kahuna for lunch, but there is also a variety of dishes such as Thai apricot wings, teriyaki steak bites, the Aloha burger, and the Hot Lava burger. As for dinner at Lulu’s, try either the chicken fettuccine or the Lulu’s surf and turf steak. The venue is located right across the street from the magical Waikiki Beach.
Lulu’s Waikiki, 2586 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 926 5222
Pint + Jigger
Offering a classic atmosphere, Pint + Jigger is located in the heart of Honolulu, and is the perfect place to socialise while enjoying traditional fried American cuisine. Dishes such as the whiskey-flambéed mushrooms, served on crostini with garlic parmesan cream cheese, or the Manila clams, cooked in either white wine or Dijon broth, make Pint + Jigger all the more special. Each meal can be accompanied by Pint + Jigger’s professional suggestions from a selection of 41 kinds of beers and first-class cocktails. Along with its friendly dining atmosphere, Pint + Jigger offers its guests the famous Fall Sausage Fest every year.
Pint + Jigger, 1936 S King St, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 744 9593
Roy’s is named after its founder, Roy Yamaguchi, whose entrepreneurship and passion has led him to open 31 restaurants around the globe, six of which are located on different parts of the island. In 1988, Roy’s first opened its doors to its Honolulu residents and guests, with the aim to provide the best of international cuisine with a Hawaiian touch. When it comes to its culinary experience, Roy’s menu offers global recipes with a selection of Yamaguchi sushi and sashimi, to local Waikiki pork and stuffing. Every classic dish can be accompanied by Roy’s elegant cocktail creations.
Roy’s 226 Lewers St. Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 923 7697
The Pig and the Lady
With a unique name, The Pig and the Lady’s culinary reputation has landed it a spot on a list of the top 50 American restaurants. Located in the Pacific Gateway Center Building (they also have a booth at the farmers’ market), The Pig and the Lady has dedicated itself to bridging the best of Asian and Pacific cuisines, with inspiration from Mama Le’s recipes, which were carefully adapted by Chef Andrew Le. The Pig and the Lady is the place for either a light lunch or a casual dinner. Its welcoming atmosphere accommodates everyone’s taste.
The Pig & The Lady, 83 N King St, Honolulu, HI, USA, +1 808 585 8255
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.