Set on the southernmost tip of Hawaii’s Big Island, the picturesque area of Papakolea on Mahana Bay is home to one of the only green beaches in the world.
Just beneath Mauna Loa, the largest volcano in the world, centuries of activity created quite the spectacle. From afar, Papakolea looks as if it’s covered by a large amount of moss against a gray cliffside. Upon closer inspection, you’ll find tiny beads of green sprinkled across the sand, along with black and white stones from lava and coral.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The bay is evidence of what used to be a large cinder cone called ‘Pu’u o Mahana’ formed by eruptions from Mauna Loa. These eruptions brought many minerals and stones to the surface, including the semi-precious stone olivine.
Sometimes known as the “Hawaiian Diamond” or “Tears of Pele“, these stones made their way from the erupting volcano to the shoreline, their density preventing them from being washed out to sea.
As the last eruption was over 10,000 years ago, the supply of olivine is slowly running out, either being washed away or broken down by the sea. This is all the more reason for people to catch the natural wonder while it’s still around.
Green Sand Beach
The journey across pasturelands to Papakolea is not for the faint of heart, as it’s about two-and-a-half miles on foot to get there. The walk itself is rewarding, as little gems of ancient Hawaiian artifacts and structures can be observed along the way. There are remnants of ancient heiau, or temples, that are not to be missed. It’s believed that this is where the first voyagers arrived when they discovered Hawaii.
Though the area is a trek to get to, there is a high chance you’ll have the beach to yourself. It’s wise to make the trip in the morning as the sun is stronger and winds pick up in the afternoon. The water on this beach is dangerous and unpredictable and should be approached with caution. The undertow is known to be strong, though people still swim when the water is calmer.
How to get there
From Highway 11, you’ll find South Point Road in between mile markers 69 and 70. About eight miles down the road, there will be a sign for Green Sand Beach where you’ll find a parking lot. Locals linger here often, attempting to charge tourists for parking and offering rides to the beach on 4 wheelers. This is illegal as driving is not allowed on the property and parking is free for everyone.
Head towards the ocean and take the dirt road to the left. The ocean should be on your right. It’s difficult to get lost as long as you keep the coastline. There are metal stairs that make their way down the side of the slippery cliff and onto the glistening green beach.
Keep in mind – the sun is unforgiving and there is no shade, so prepare accordingly. Bring enough water, sunscreen, and a bag for trash. And remember, as is the rule in most of Hawaii, it is illegal to take the sand from the beach, lest you want to incur the wrath of goddess Pele.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.