The neighborhood of Brookhaven is nestled between the intersections of major highways 400, 285, and 85. With such a convenient location, and only 20 minutes north of Midtown by car, Brookhaven is a great place to visit for evening cocktails, exceptional dining, recreation, and cultural immersion. The area has a variety of parks, a public museum within Oglethorpe University, and lots of places to eat with friends and family.
This pedestrian-friendly village in the heart of Brookhaven offers everything from dining, shopping, salons, gyms, and a movie theater. Town Brookhaven has over 900 residential apartments, but it’s also a popular location for locals and visitors in the area. Dine at some of Brookhaven’s best restaurants, such Bua Thai, or drive three minutes out of Town and visit Valenza; shop in a variety of retailer stores and hip boutiques; or enjoy cocktails and popcorn at the Ciné Bistro Movie Theater. There is something for everyone here, whether you’re with the family, going out on a budget with friends, or on a dinner date.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Town Brookhaven, 4330 Peachtree Rd. Brookhaven, GA, USA +1 404 281 3568
Oglethorpe University Museum of Art
Oglethorpe’s art museum has three major galleries that offer three year round exhibits and smaller installations throughout the year. There is a variety of artwork here from international, representational, and figurative collections. The museum is located in a very open and modern space that has plenty of room for pondering the featured pieces. For avid art enthusiasts, this is a great museum that holds tours and events within the beautiful vicinity of Oglethorpe University.
Opening Hours: Tues-Sun 12 – 5 pm
PURE Tacqueria Brookhaven
Brookhaven has a variety of dining options, but PURE is the best option for young adults who want to sip margaritas and eat freshly made tacos on the stylish rooftop patio every evening. This is a great spot to meet new friends in the evening while mingling on cozy furniture, watching a sports game, and enjoying the views of Brookhaven. PURE has been known as one of the best Mexican restaurants in the great Atlanta area, and this new location in Brookhaven is setting the bar for great eats, views, and company.
Watch out for: The fish tacos and margaritas
Opening Hours: 11 am – 11 pm
PURE taqueria Brookhaven, 3589 Durden Dr. Atlanta, GA, USA +1 770 452 7873
Murphey Candler Park
Murphey Candler Park is the largest Brookhaven park at a total of 135 acres. The park includes fields for sports, a lake, picnic areas, wetlands, and forests. Visitors can swim in the public pool for a small fee, play on tennis courts, walk along the two-mile loop trail, or utilize the playground and sports fields. The park opened in the 1950s for public use and is still the largest park in the North Dekalb area of Atlanta. Year round events, such as the Duck Duck Goose 5k every fall, are also popular ways to enjoy the park’s amenities.
Murphey Candler Park, 1551 W Nancy Creek Dr NE, Atlanta, GA, USA +1 800 864 7275
Kaleidoscope Bistro and Pub
Considered one of the best restaurants in Brookhaven, Kaleidoscope Bistro serves “global comfort food” that looks and tastes unique each time – hence the name. The restaurant integrates a blend of flavors from Southern, Asian, Mexican, and Mediterranean influences. Owner Joey Riley attended the Culinary Institute of America in New York and worked with renowned chefs before opening up his dream restaurant in 2010 in Brookhaven. Since then, Kaleidoscope has been challenging traditional dishes with modern twists in a fun and trendy setting. This is a great place to get lunch, dinner, or late night drinks until the early hours of the morning every weekend.
Watch out for: The K Burger
Opening Hours: Mon-Thurs 11:30 am – 2:30 pm and 5 pm – 1 am, Fri 11:30 am – 3 am, Sat 12 pm – 2 am, Sun 12 pm – 12 am
Kaleidoscope Bistro 1410 Dresden Dr. Atlanta, GA, USA +1 404 474 9600
The Righteous Room (Northeast)
North Brookhaven’s best dive bar offers good eats and booze for reasonable prices. The 20-year-old bar has unique perks such as a jukebox and a magnolia tree growing right in the middle of the establishment. This is a go-to spot for locals, especially during happy hour or sports games. This is a fun place for adults to hangout with dogs on the patio or with the funny bartenders inside. Visitors will enjoy the unique atmosphere, comfort food, humble magnolia tree, and Southern hospitality in this laid-back bar.
Opening hours: Mon-Fri 11 am – 1 am, Sat 11 am – 3 am, Sun 12 pm – 1 am
The Righteous Bar, 2142 Johnson Ferry Rd NE, Atlanta, GA, USA +1 770 559 5678
Brookhaven park is a great place to hang out with the family and four-legged friends. There are large lawns, a dog park, a playground, grill pavilions, a sports complex, and paved trails that circumvent the area. There is something for everyone in this park. Enjoy a nice run, play with canines, or have a picnic with friends and family.
Plaza Fiesta is a traditional strip mall that opened in the 1960s to cater to the Latino and Hispanic communities in the surrounding area. This colorful establishment will liven all your senses with attractions like shopping, dining, and regular events. The biggest event of the year is on Mexican Independence day on September 13th. There are over 280 retail stores, all inspired by Mexican villas. Children will love the arcade area and large indoor play area.
Plaza Fiesta, 4166 Buford Hwy NE, Atlanta, GA, USA +1 404 982 9138
Silver Lake remains a local treasure to the surrounding Brookhaven neighborhoods. Hidden away from the Atlanta crowds, Silver Lake is maintained by volunteers and membership fees. No swimming is allowed, but the lake area takes pride in row boat and trail amenities. Silver Lake was Atlanta’s first large-scale bird sanctuary and remains a great place to bird-watch. The Silver Lake Civic Association helps keep the lake pristine with local funds, and requests visitors to respect the property.
Peachtree Golf Club
If you’re lucky enough to find a club member to golf with, then this should be a top must-see in Brookhaven. Although not open to the public, Peachtree Golf Club is still worthy of a mention because it is considered on of the best courses in America. With no country club, pool, or tennis courts, Peachtree Golf Club is solely devoted to friendship and a passion for golf. Co-founder of the Masters Tournament, Bobby Jones, helped design the course in 1948. Similar to many classic Augusta greens, the Peachtree course is a premier gem within the Atlanta community.
Peachtree Golf Club, 4600 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta, GA, USA
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.