As one of the greenest big cities in the South, several unforgettable public parks permeate Atlanta’s urban landscape. From Buckhead to Midtown to Stone Mountain, the metro area has plenty of options to choose among. Whether it’s antebellum history or simply a few outdoor basketball courts you’re in search of, frequent these six picks and you won’t be disappointed.
Piedmont Park is mammoth-sized and perfect for nearly any outdoor activity one could think of on a nice, sunny Atlanta weekend. Frisbee players, joggers, bikers, dog walkers, roller-blading maniacs, and simple catch players pepper the lush, grassy, rolling hills of Piedmont Park day in and day out. Paved trails cut through them and provide rich views of nearby Midtown skyscrapers. The basketball courts and swimming pool are just added bonuses. Luckily, Piedmont Park’s surrounding area is replete with ice cream shops and smoothie joints, all within walking distance.
Piedmont Park, 1342 Worchester Drive NE, Atlanta, GA, USA,+ 1 404 875 7275
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Kennesaw Mountain was the site of a historic Civil War battle in which nearly 70,000 soldiers either died or fell prisoner to the Union Army, the victorious camp. Ubiquitously adorned with inscriptions and memorial plaques for the men who fought here so long ago, its trails and paths combine to stretch for dozens of miles. The park occupies nearly 3,000 acres and is in the Kennesaw area of metro Atlanta. Checking for parking and directions ahead of times is recommended as the park is often highly occupied during peak hours.
Chastain Park is tucked away inside a mostly residential area of upper Buckhead, but humming with activity nonetheless. Local features surrounding the park itself include youth league baseball and football fields, community tennis courts, a neighborhood swimming pool, a private and elegant horse park, a public middle school, and the beautiful Galloway School. Don’t forget Chastain Park Amphitheatre – one of Atlanta’s best live music venues, without question. The park also has a scenic rolling golf course and several pathways, which cut in and around it. Individual pavilions and stone fire pits, perfect for family picnics, stretch as far as the eye can see.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chastain Park Amphitheatre, 4469 Stella Drive, Atlanta, GA, USA, + 1 404 233 2227
For a park that’s slightly more on the mellow end of the spectrum, pleasant Grant Park (home to Zoo Atlanta) makes the best pick. The park is surrounded by placid greenery and small coffeehouses, many of which are the perfect place to read a book or simply relax. A few small fountains and plenty of oak trees make for a shady and tranquil visit. A short walk in virtually any direction from Grant Park will be certain to yield in a small new shop or store that you’re sure to appreciate.
Grant Park, 840 Cherokee Avenue SE, Atlanta, GA, USA, + 1 404 521 0938
By Richard Isaac Tulis
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.