Atlanta is the ideal city to be outside in. With such comfortable temperatures, plenty of sidewalk space, and greenery all around, this city makes for a highly desirable open-air live music scene. Atlanta also has several impressive indoor theaters, and the city boasts one of the most architecturally unique premises nationwide with its historic Fox Theatre. Join us as we delve into and assess the best venues for live music the city has to offer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chastain Park Amphitheater
‘No ceilings’ describes both the venue as well as the talent it draws on a seasonal basis. Playing host to some of the most eloquent artists Atlanta has ever seen (Elton John; Hall & Oates; Earth, Wind, & Fire; Neil Young), this musical shrine provides unforgettable nights under the stars and can make for the perfect couples evening. The arena is comfortably nestled within the Chastain Park area of Buckhead, surrounded by a golf course, Horse Park, neighborhood housing, and local tennis courts. Find a parking spot next to the park and take a pre (or post) concert stroll – all of the aforementioned spots are well within walking distance of the amphitheater itself.
The Fox Theatre
On the edge of downtown, the Fox Theatre acts as midtown’s historic centerpiece for live performances. Once a vaudevillian movie palace, the Fox was nearly removed in the 1970s to make room for a corporate office. But, alas, the wondrous, Moorish-designed edifice was saved by native Atlantans keen on preserving the amazing décor and inner design, which boasts an organ consisting of 3,622 pipes (second only to Radio City Music Hall’s organ in New York) and an Arabian ceiling mural of the night sky. This venue is truly one-of-a-kind and is absolutely not to miss.
Formerly a Baptist Church, the Tabernacle building is shrouded in historical couth. Standing for over one hundred years, the 1910 building has seen renovations several times over to accommodate its sizable crowds. The venue now houses thousands on a nightly basis as famed artists take the stage in downtown Atlanta’s most popular musical scene. Allot time for parking, theater entry, and seating when arriving to a show here; the venue is known for its packed house events and much awaited shows.
When searching for a more intimate, lesser sized venue, look no further than Little Five Points prize, the Variety Playhouse. This inconspicuous pearl has showcased some of the indie scene’s biggest and best, years before their success on the mainstream scale. Artists like Vampire Weekend (back in 2008) often select Variety Playhouse as the perfect performance spot and thereby kindle long lasting fans from such shows. Located smack in the center of one of Atlanta’s most eccentric and unique areas (Little Five Points), the concert venue is much more than a local favorite – to many, it’s the best live music venue there is.
Unquestionably an East Atlanta favorite, the EARL is another fantastic venue for alternative acts and an intimate live music experience. Serving hearty bar food and a wide range of cocktails and draft beers, the restaurant and bar has turned into more of a music club over the years, but it maintains its culinary acumen nonetheless. Interestingly enough, the actual bar top is constructed of a tree that fell on the property years ago. There’s never a dull moment here; the EARL is an ideal Atlanta spot for dinner and a show.
Right in the backyard of Atlanta’s posh Buckhead bar area, Buckhead Theatre stands up to its surroundings quite well. The renovated structure has champion accommodations, including a stylish carpeted lobby and bar, impeccable lighting and sound specifications, and an elegant upper balcony inside the theater itself. The location is walking distance from a bustling bar district – a huge bonus for any thirsty attendees looking for some late night fun. Flush to the street, Buckhead Theatre has a tantalizing façade and an inviting feel. Make sure to stroll in for a show sometime soon.
Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
This highly versatile venue is home to a wide variety of the performing arts. Ballets, operas, and musical concerts – the Cobb Energy Centre has it all. Erected in 2007, the building is very new, and it’s easy to tell: the elaborate auditorium features an extensive seating arrangement, with a full orchestra pit and several protruding balcony areas. The acoustics have been mastered so that regardless of seating, you are sure to enjoy the audiovisual experience at hand. Admire the ballroom chandeliers and silken-carpeted entrance as you make your way inside. Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, 2800 Cobb Galleria Parkway, Atlanta, GA, USA,
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.