With approximately 1,900sqmi (4,921sqkm) of water, the state of Georgia has a bounty of lakes for swimming, relaxing, boating and whatever else the heart desires.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lake Blackshear is an 8,700-acre (3,521ha) man-made lake created in 1930. When the lake was first flooded, people thought the cypress trees would die, but they survived and can still be found in the middle of the lake. Today, swimming is a top activity, but at the marina, there is the option to rent jet skis or ski boats. Take a kayak out to get up close to the birdlife and turtles. Go on a train, too; Cordele is the main depot of the Historic Sam Shortline Railroad, a 1949 air-conditioned vintage train. All the excursions go over a portion of the lake, which makes for great photo-op views.
Fed by the Chestatee River, there are many things to do at Lake Lanier. It boasts 76 recreational areas, including more than 40 parks and campgrounds and several marinas. Those looking for the laid-back option can cruise the water by renting anything from a kayak to a houseboat. Margaritaville at Lanier Islands has a bit of everything: restaurants, tiki bars, live music, beaches, firepits and a water park. For the ultimate taste of Americana, rent an RV and take advantage of its RV Park.
Lake Blue Ridge
This scenic, sky-blue lake is surrounded by mountains and is extremely picturesque. Only 25 percent of the shore around the 3,290-acre (1,331ha) lake is developed, making it a great escape to nature. At the marina, there are paddleboats, pontoons, canoes and stand-up boards to rent. Morganton Point Recreation Area provides a beach, swimming, hiking, picnicking and boating. Those wanting to spend more time at the lake can use the campground at Morganton Point, or rent a cabin – many of which are directly on the lake. Nearby is the charming town of Blue Ridge or the Bavarian village of Helen.
Carters Lake, Ellijay
In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Carters Lake is the deepest of Georgia’s reservoirs at 450ft (137m). It is one of the more unspoiled lakes, with a rugged shore with no houses or docks, often described as “Georgia’s Best-Kept Secret.” From Ridgeway Recreation Area, there is the option for an easy hike or kayak to the Tumbling Waters waterfall, which has two observation decks. Carters Lake Marina & Resort has tube and boat rentals, along with cabins with lake views.
Lake Nottely, Blairsville
Another hidden treasure, Lake Nottely is protected by the US Forest Service, and more than half of its shoreline is undeveloped. It’s a quiet lake with local charm. Buying a map from the marina will help you find the best secret spots – kids can make like Tarzan on a rope swing or jump from cliffs into the perfect swimming spot below. The marina also has boat, canoe, kayak and pontoon rentals. Every year, there is a 4th of July party on the water, complete with a boat parade. Poteete Creek Campground has a public beach to enjoy.
Lake Allatoona, Cartersville
The 12,000-acre (4,856ha) Lake Allatoona is one of the most popular, with several marinas, campgrounds, beaches and hundreds of picnic tables. Sunset Grille Lakeside Restaurant at Victoria Harbor Marina is, as its name suggests, the best spot to watch the sun go down. Visitors can rent houseboats, tubes, waverunners, pontoons and party boats from Paradise Rental Boats at Park Marina. For the active, bike riders will appreciate Blankets Creek Trail, which accommodates all skill levels, and hikers can choose from trails that are all rated from easy to moderate.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.