The capital of Georgia has its fair share of both great fine-dining restaurants and home-style comfort food. Somewhere in-between those two ends of the spectrum lies the new hamburger. Americans are getting tired of low-quality burgers, and are looking for something better. In Atlanta, they have found it. We look at 10 Atlanta burgers that are making customers forget about their sub-par, fast-food counterparts, and establishing the burger as a gourmet food to be desired.
Grindhouse Killer Burgers
The folks at Grindhouse Killer Burgers are doing something magical. They have a small menu that centers around burgers, with a small selection of sides and appetizers. But the tender juiciness and punch of flavor in each of their burgers is something to write home about. The Apache-style Killer burger has been widely heralded as the best on the menu. The 1/4-pound beef patty is topped with pepper jack cheese, grilled onions, green chiles from New Mexico and lettuce. The Apache truly lives up to its name as a killer burger. And thought the crinkle-cut french fries are great, try a side of sweet potato chips or fried green tomatoes for a taste of the South.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This burger has a simple name, but the flavor is a complex combination that is simply delicious. The General Muir is located in the Emory Point neighborhood, and is heavily inspired by Jewish deli fare. For The Burger, they stack gruyère, caramelized onions and pastrami on top of the burger. Then, the tower is topped with Russian dressing and sweet-and-sour pickles. The result is a surprising complexity of flavors that is equal parts warm indulgence and bright, flavorful zippiness. The General Muir is no boring deli serving up the same soup and sandwiches, but rather worth every effort to pay a visit for their ingenious take on this American classic.
Judging from the name of the restaurant, this place seems to think it is something special. And with its humanely raised, grass-fed beef and locally-sourced ingredients, it just might be. With an eye on changing the way that Americans see burgers and overthrowing the conventions of fast food chains, YEAH! offers a product that is fresh and customizable. The basic YEAH! Burger is so good, it lives up to its exciting name. The burger has two patties, lettuce, pickles, caramelized onions and YEAH! sauce, an unknown mixture of pure deliciousness. All of that is then sandwiched inside a locally-produced, artisan bun. This is definitely something to get to get excited about.
The Vortex has become a cornerstone of Atlanta’s Little Five Points neighborhood. The burger joint is well-known for giving its patrons a great experience. The restaurant now has two locations, has been rocking for 20 years and is consistently a local favorite. Burgers abound on the menu at The Vortex, with several having become legends, but The Coronary Bypass remains as one of the best anywhere. A half-pound sirloin patty is topped with three slices of cheese, a fried egg and four slices of bacon. You may want to get your heart checked after this one.
One Eared Stag
Evan Mah at Atlanta Magazine recently said, ‘Robert Phalen probably wishes that people would stop talking about his burger.’ But it is so good that we have to get in on the action too. One Eared Stag has created a burger that is truly unlike any other. The restaurant actually grinds bacon in with its beef, to form a patty that is unbelievably moist and flavorful. The distinct, salty flavor the the bacon is expertly paired with cheese, pickles and finely-shaven white onions. This burger used to be an off-the-menu, hushed secret and thus garnered wild rumors and whispering. But we’re glad it’s now out of hiding, and available to anyone looking for an unparallelled food experience.
Bocado’s burger is minimalism at its best. The burger has been pit against countless newbies to the Atlanta burger scene, but it stands stalwart. The Stack is simply two juicy patties, American cheese, house-made pickles and a made-from-scratch bun. The beef for the patties is ground in-house, ensuring that they never even come close to being pre-packaged or frozen. This burger is melt-in-your-mouth goodness, without any frills. Bocado offers The Stack on both their lunch and dinner menu, so if you’re feeling tempted to swing by a fast food joint that shall not be named, resist the urge and head straight for western Midtown.
Holeman & Finch Public House
This burger is so good, it needs no fancy name or introduction. At Holeman & Finch Public House, the simple burger once again has become something magical. The ground beef is a mixture of brisket and flank, and is griddle-cooked to the perfect temperature. The patties are covered with American cheese slices, sliced red onion and homemade bread-and-butter pickles. Holeman & Finch makes its own ketchup and mustard in-house, which perfectly round out the flavors of the burger, underneath the crown of its brioche bun. Once you try it, there can be no question as to why The Burger has attracted national attention.
Farm Burger is a refreshing change of pace from the mass-produced, over-consumed burger that the US is so famous for. The restaurant aims to turn eating back into a venture that is mindful and ethical. Cows are humanely treated, and harmful chemicals and hormones are left out of the process altogether. The Farm Burger is the very first option on the menu, and is everything that a burger should be. The beef is freshly ground, cooked to perfection and accompanied by aged white cheddar, sauteed onions and a special house-made sauce. For customers looking for something a little more creative, a number of ingredients and toppings can be added to make your burger truly unique.
Ann’s Snack Bar
The Ghetto Burger is a behemoth mountain off food that has won the attention of patrons across the country. Ann’s Snack Bar is a simple restaurant, old-fashioned restaurant where the food is prepared with passion and care, and it shows in every dish. The Ghetto burger is composed of a toasted bun, two patties, cheese, bacon, grilled onions, ketchup, mustard and warm chili. The result is a meal that will stick to your ribs and make you reconsider what it is you call a hamburger. Unfortunately, the owner, Miss Ann, passed away in April of 2015. Her family is planning to keep the snack bar open, but it may be a good idea to pay a visit to the restaurant soon to enjoy the Ghetto burger before it is too late.
With a goal of making everything they possibly can from scratch and by hand, the family behind Scratch Fresh is creating a product that is a far cry from most of the burgers that Americans are used to today. For their burger, the team layers high quality ingredients together to form the perfect meal. The Scratch Burger has two patties, and comes sans toppings, unless you tell them otherwise. There are over 10 options of vegetables and condiments to make your burger experience truly unique, and the house-made Burger Sauce is an absolute must-try.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.