Boasting Gothic architecture, Greek and Roman sculptures and floral landscapes, Atlanta’s cemeteries are just as diverse, historic and rich in culture as the city itself. From civil war soldiers and civil rights leaders to powerful politicians and famous authors, tour the remarkably beautiful and famous final resting places in Atlanta.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The most famous cemetery in Atlanta, Oakland Cemetery was founded in 1850. Originally named “Atlanta Cemetery,” and renamed Oakland in 1872, its name is derived from the many magnolia and oak trees found on the property. Within the 48 acres, you will find names of Atlanta streets, buildings and parks directly reflecting the rich history and changing culture in the city. The cemetery boasts stunning architecture, Gothic mausoleums, beautiful stained glass windows and scenic views of Atlanta. Notable people buried there include Pulitzer Prize-winning author Margaret Mitchell, first African American mayor of Atlanta Maynard Jackson, six Georgia governors, prominent business owners, Confederate soldiers and former slaves who founded Atlanta’s Morris Brown College, and Bishop Wesley John Gaines.
The largest civilian cemetery in the southeast, comprised of more than 582 acres, Westview Cemetery is not to be missed. A portion of the “Battle of Ezra Church” was fought on the land, connecting the cemetery to Atlanta’s civil war legacy. Built in 1943 and housing over 11,000 entombments and space to hold cremated remains, Westview Abby is the famous mausoleum and chapel inside the cemetery. Romanesque stained glass windows and a beautiful mural named “Faith, Hope and Charity” are highlights in the mausoleum. Notable residents of the cemetery are founder of the Coca Cola Company Asa Candler, Asa Candler Jr., son of Coca Cola founder and builder of the Westview Abby, baseball great Jim Bagby, Sr., and journalist and publisher of the Atlanta Journal Constitution Ralph E. McGill.
Marietta National Cemetery
The final resting place for more than 10,000 Union soldiers, Marietta National Cemetery is a burial ground rich in Atlanta’s history. Comprising of 23 acres, the cemetery was put on the National Register of Historic Places in September 1998. Adorned with masonry archways, Roman-inspired sculptures, columns and a granite memorial gate inscribed: “Here rest the remains of 10,312 officers and soldiers who died in defense of the Union 1861-1865,” this historic cemetery is an Atlanta favorite.
Located just six miles from the capitol, Utoy Cemetery first established in 1828, is Atlanta’s oldest cemetery. Just over three acres, the historic burial ground is much smaller than the other more prominent cemeteries in Atlanta. Nestled behind the Temple of Christ Pentecostal Church, which was originally named Utoy Primitive Baptist Church, the church served as a military field hospital for captured Union and wounded Confederate soldiers during the 1864 Battle of Utoy Creek. Alongside Atlanta’s first physician Dr. Joshua Gilbert, several members of Utoy Church who were slaves are buried in the western portion of the cemetery, along with two Revolutionary War veterans.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.