Far more than a simple university town, Athens has a thriving art scene, fantastic Southern restaurants and, of course, great music – this is the home of REM, after all. Within easy reach of Atlanta, be sure to stay in the Sanford Stadium area of the city to get a true flavor of the nightlife, cafe culture, craft breweries and boutiques it has to offer. Our favorite hotels and B&Bs are bookable on Culture Trip.
IHG’s Indigo brand offers a luxurious and quirky take on the classic hotel. In a fantastic downtown location, this welcoming beauty offers everything from farm-to-table cuisine at their Madison Bar and Bistro to their own art gallery, featuring works by local artists. The impressively designed accommodation feels like a home from home, witth luxury furnishings, natural Appalachian materials and bathrooms with a high-end spa feel.
One of the newest hotels to adjoin the University of Georgia (UGA) campus, the SpringHill offers comfortable and expertly finished accommodation to cater to your every need. The muted colors and sumptuous furnishings will put you in a relaxed state for whatever you have planned for your stay. Downstairs, you can sample local beers in the 1918 Lounge, enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast, work out in the gym or simply relax by the fire pit.
Yes, the name’s a bit of a mouthful, but this friendly and wonderfully finished hotel is beautifully scenic and super traveler-friendly. In the middle of Athens – and at the center of campus – the newly renovated University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education & Hotel puts you right at the heart of this student town. The casual accommodation, decked out in the university colors, offers flat-screen TVs, minifridges and microwaves.
With this newly renovated, very swish offering from Marriott, you’ll be right at the heart of Downtown Athens, just blocks from UGA. Nearby, you’ll find the Classic Center, Georgia Museum of Art, State Botanical Garden, UGA Performing Arts Center and the Tree That Owns Itself. Contemporary rooms – all with a light, bright and fresh feel – offer free wifi, desks, flat-screen TVs and coffee makers.
Right in the city center, this modern and friendly hotel is a 12-minute walk from the North Oconee River and 1mi (1.6km) from the Georgia Museum of Natural History. The accommodation is modern, clean and spacious – and makes a great base from which to explore the local boutiques, craft breweries, historic landmarks and lively music scene. With a well-equipped gym, free breakfast, all-day dining and a friendly bar, you’re set for a great stay.
Set in a converted foundry and a 19th-century farmhouse, this hip, quirky hotel is full of Southern charm – and only a five-minute walk from the Downtown Athens Historic District. The striking accommodation has pine green walls and traditional Southern decor, with pops of plaid, a hint of history and notes of Athens’ musical heritage. This place will certainly stay with you.
Right next to the University of Athens, this laid-back, all-suite hotel is 2mi (3.2km) from the Georgia Museum of Art and a nine-minute walk from concerts at Georgia Theatre. The accommodation – as the name suggests – is homey, yet functional. There’s a well-thought-out gym, game room, free breakfast and even nightly socials. What’s more, there’s a bar, and a modern lounge and patio with BBQ grills.
Set on a historic 30-acre (12ha) estate – and less than 15 minutes’ drive to Downtown Athens, Sanford Stadium, Stegeman Coliseum, the University of Georgia and the Classic Center – this perfect example of antebellum architecture will immerse you in the South. Owned by retired army colonels, you’re guaranteed an all-American welcome, with a generous breakfast and beautifully furnished common areas.
For more excellently located stays in Georgia, USA, see the best hotels in Atlanta for every traveler – they’re bookable through Culture Trip. Explore the sights and read a guide to the state’s spectacular coastline, or uncover more of Atlanta with the coolest neighborhoods in the capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.