The Museum of Ice Cream, the photogenic pop-up gallery that arrived in Miami shortly after Art Basel, has announced it will extend its stay until April 29, 2018. This extension will be the second one for the phenomenon located in the Faena District, but it’s not without its spark of controversy. Recently, the city of Miami Beach fined the museum for creating an environmental hazard.
The culprit is the colored plastic sprinkles from the sprinkle pool within the museum. Visitors who dive into the pool often leave the exhibit with sprinkles in their pockets that fall out onto the sidewalk and streets. Authorities have warned that the fake sprinkles could sweep into the storm drains and filter out into Biscayne Bay where fish may mistake the pieces for food, creating a hazard for marine life.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
MOIC has claimed that guests are instructed to shake off the sprinkles after exiting the sprinkle pool and has hired cleaners to sweep around the building. They’re also planning to install blowers that hit visitors when leaving the sprinkle pool. However, the fine itself is minor—a mere $1,000.
The sprinkle residue is more of a teeny-tiny PR setback to the popular museum that has garnered instant success. (It sold 300,000 tickets just in the first five days of opening in Miami.) Instagram-obsessed millennials flock to the museum for selfies in its mirrored rooms, banana swings, and popsicle installations. The entire museum is decked wall-to-wall in a saturated pink palette—the ideal color tones to garner likes on an Instagram post.
The co-founder, 25-year-old Maryellis Bunn, intended for the space to be an experiential immersion for millennials. The photogenic wonderland is a pleasant escape into one’s childhood fantasies—with four floors of life-size ice cream sculptures, games, and ice cream tastings. It’s not a museum with historical artifacts but rather a place to have fun with a camera in-hand. It’s also a one-way route; visitors can’t go backward but have to move on to the next room.
One room, the Bunns Shake Room, features a conveyor belt that transfers milkshakes into an ice cream bar. The space is clad in a glittery floor and includes a retro video game console. The FAN-tastic room is dotted with giant plastic ice cream cones and serves as a dance studio where visitors, along with a museum guide, can choreograph a dance. But the fantasy doesn’t stop there; Bunn hopes the museum will become the next Disney. The high expectations are not entirely unfounded. The museum sells tickets at $38, and they sell out quickly. (The museum even rents the space for private events for $180,000.) The MOIC’s pop-ups in New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles have all been a success story. Bunn plans to move forward from a pop-up to a permanent location in the future.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.