Bienvenidos a Miami, the city Pitbull has lyrically raved on about for more than a decade.
While the Magic City is commonly known for sandy coastlines and the annual Art Basel fair, the inland areas of the city also offer a wide array of art, culture, food and entertainment. Miami sits at the intersection of Latin American and Caribbean cultures, with international influence in every pocket of the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Between the Latin music on Calle Ocho and the eccentric Art Deco of Ocean Drive, Miami is nothing short of a sensory overload and a unique experience for all visitors. For those who have only a day to spend in the city that averages 80F (27C) year-round, here’s a 24-hour itinerary of must-visit Miami spots.
Morning: Stroll along the South Beach coast
Start the day off slow and easy, in true Miami fashion. Stroll through South Pointe Park – the southernmost tip of South Beach – and take in the morning sunlight before it gets too hot. The urban park features sweeping waterfront views of Biscayne Bay, Fisher Island and Downtown Miami and is well liked for its walking paths, grassy lots and sculptures. On any given day, you’re likely to catch locals playing fútbol or rollerblading through the park. For those looking for a quieter morning in Miami, walk down the South Pointe Pier, a 450-foot-long (140-meter) pier renovated in 2014 that now serves as a popular fishing spot. From there, head north along Miami’s white sandy beach and make your way to Ocean Drive, which is a pleasant 20-minute walk or quick car ride away.
Miami’s palm-tree-lined Ocean Drive stretches from First Street to 15th Street. The notorious strip lined with pastel buildings is home to the historic Art Deco District, clad fittingly with vintage cars. Make a pit stop at the Art Deco Welcome Center to learn more about the area’s concentration of Art Deco architecture, or simply cross the street (to the beach side) to fully embrace the retro features of The Carlyle, The Tides or The Breakwater.
Grab a light and healthy breakfast or brunch at Pura Vida or Under the Mango Tree, where you can’t go wrong with an açai bowl or vegan empanadas. Or go for a heartier option at Big Pink or The Front Porch Café. From there, head to Little Havana, which is around a 20- to 30-minute drive, depending on traffic.
Afternoon: Explore the flavors of Little Havana’s Calle Ocho
As your afternoon starts, head to Calle Ocho, the core of Little Havana and one of Miami’s most emblematic streets. Akin to a modern-day Cuba, Calle Ocho houses home-made-cigar shops, colorful storefronts, authentic ventanitas and spiritual stores that take you to the heart of Cuban culture. Murals and live music bring the street to life, as do generations of Cuban immigrants playing dominoes with masterly finesse at Máximo Gómez Park. Less than two minutes away is the Paseo de las Estrellas (Walk of Fame) – dedicated to Latin American musicians, actors and writers.
In light of Miami’s constant humidity, treat yourself at Azucar Ice Cream Company – a tribute to Cuban artist Celia Cruz. A popular choice there is the shop’s staple Abuela María flavor, made with María cookies, guava and cream cheese.
Top off the afternoon with some downtime at Ball & Chain, another Little Havana joint, where Billie Holiday once graced the stage. The bar-slash-lounge is adored by locals for its live music, authentic food and delicious mojitos. Plus, its palm-tree-laden patio makes it a perfect place to dance salsa or wind down.
Evening: Immerse yourself in street art at the Wynwood Art District
It’s not a complete trip to Miami without a pit stop in Wynwood – the US’s unofficial capital of the modern street art movement. The Wynwood Walls, an outdoor gallery of wall-to-wall rotating art installations, have showcased over 50 artists from 16 countries since 2009.
After a good dose of art, shop at local boutiques like Simonett for one-of-a-kind, thoughtful pieces, and Plant the Future for flora and greenery. Or opt to tour the local breweries at J Wakefield Brewing or Veza Sur Brewing Co.
While Wynwood offers a variety of new age dining options like Hiden and 1-800-Lucky, you can easily take a 30-minute walk or a 10-minute drive to the upscale retail stores of the Design District, which also houses Mandolin Aegean Bistro. The Greek and Turkish restaurant is situated in a former home that offers a counterpoint to the modern, sleek vibe of its creative neighborhood. The cottage’s quaint blue-and-white decor brings to mind the designs found in Aegean coastal towns, and the restaurant’s cozy garden patio certainly takes cues from the beachside eateries that inspired its cuisine. While there, order the Greek or Turkish sampler to indulge in Mandolin’s tastiest appetizers.
After hours: Indulge in Miami nightlife
Nightlife in Miami is just as loud and bright as anything else the city offers. Stop by El Patio or Proyecto Tulum in Wynwood for Latin music outdoors, or Gramps for a casual hang-out with craft beers and live entertainment. For a true taste of Miami’s electronic music scene, make your way to Downtown Miami and begin your night at Floyd, a luxe speakeasy, before moving on to Club Space, a rooftop that attracts some of the world’s best DJs (open Friday through Sunday). No matter where you go, the party goes well into the early morning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.