Miami may not have a very efficient public transportation system or pedestrian-friendly streets, but although traveling by car is the easiest way to get around, there are a few areas you can explore by foot. The artsy neighborhood of Wynwood is walkable, as are parts of Brickell, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove – though you’ll need a ride to get there. We’ve focused on one area with the best cultural sights, historic monuments, water views and a taste of city life – here’s our walkable guide to Downtown.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Begin your journey through the Magic City with a visit to the historic Gesu Church on 2nd street in Downtown. This Roman Catholic Church is the oldest in Miami and was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The beautiful stained glass and arched windows are a nod to colonial architecture, and it was built on land donated by Henry Flager, one of the city’s founders.
A few blocks east of the church, the Freedom Tower is considered the “Ellis Island of the South” for serving as a Cuban Assistance Center from 1962 -1974. Though first used as the headquarters for the newspaper The Miami Times, it later became the government facility that processed documents for Cuban refugees fleeing from the Fidel Castro regime. The tower – clad in its Mediterranean Revival style with cupola – is now a contemporary art museum and meeting hall.
Pérez Art Museum Miami
Art Gallery, Museum, Park
Cross Biscayne Boulevard onto the Pérez Art Museum Miami for a peek of the modern architecture and its collection of Latin American modern art. Nestled on the grounds of Museum Park along Biscayne Bay, PAMM was designed by famous architects Herzog & de Meuron, and boasts unique canopy gardens, a plaza and three levels of galleries. While on your walk through Museum Park, you can also stop for a picnic on the lush green lawns or continue on your cultural excursion with a visit to the Frost Museum of Science perched on the same grounds.
American Airlines Arena
Next to Museum Park is the American Airlines Arena, the entertainment and sports venue where the Miami Heat (three-time NBA Championship winning basketball team) plays. There are numerous concerts, games and shows to see here, but you don’t need to enter if you don’t have a ticket. Still, it’s great for a picture!
Port of Miami
While walking along Biscayne Boulevard, you’ll catch a glimpse of the Port of Miami. The busiest port in the world, it served 5.3 million visitors in 2017, hence the city’s moniker, “The Cruise Capital of the World.”
Simón Bolívar Monument
Directly in front of Bayside Marketplace, don’t miss the Simón Bolívar monument. The Venezuelan “liberator of Latin America” from the Spanish colonies is featured here surrounded by a share of Latin American flags.
Market, Shop, Shopping Mall
It may be a tourist trap, but you can’t leave Miami without a walk through Bayside. The outdoor marketplace sits along Biscayne Bay with beautiful views of the water, the marina, and plenty of restaurants and shopping to keep you occupied. Grab a frozen pina colada at Let’s Make A Daquiri, and enjoy the live music while sinking into the pace of Miami’s bohemian lifestyle.
Adjacent to Bayside, Bayfront Park is a 32-acre urban park with a children’s playground, artist statues and a sandy area with loungers and waterfront views where you can enjoy the gentle breeze underneath the palm trees. The best part of Bayfront is you can continue along the sidewalk until you cross the Brickell Avenue Bridge onto Brickell’s business district. (You can also hop on the free Metromover which is located just across Biscayne Boulevard.) For a tour of Miami Beach, you’ll have to take the bus, but once there it’s easy to navigate on trolley, bus or by foot!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.