Florida: what a wonderful place for an adventurer. The Sunshine State, as it’s affectionately referred to, is full of contrasting images, diverse ecosystems and natural beauty. It’s one of the few places in America where you can drive for eight hours straight and still be in the same state. In many cases, though, it’s hard to imagine that due to the stark change in landscape, demographics, and wildlife as you travel from one end to the other. Imagine starting your trip in the Florida Keys, where blue waters and fishing boats dominate the scenic landscape, and then head north to Gainesville, where tall oaks and pines are home to wild buffalo, majestic alligators and raucous college students. It’s all here waiting for you — just get on a plane and visit it. Your adventure starts now!
Diving In The Treasure Coast
The name Treasure Coast has the ability to perk the interest of just about anybody with the slightest thirst for adventure, does it not? The region, whose name refers to the Spanish Treasure Fleet lost in a 1715 hurricane, is popular in the diving community for its shipwrecks, which make excellent artificial reefs for the diverse Atlantic Ocean ecosystem. For those of you who enjoy the thrill of spear fishing and lobster diving, there are plenty of charters for hire that will take you out all day and guide you through your adventure.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ichetucknee River State Park
There are a few options here: one for the fitness lovers, one for the laid back crowd and one for the families. The Ichetucknee River provides travelers with six miles (10 km) of beautifully shaded river hammocks and wetlands. You can choose to kayak down the river or float slowly and peacefully on an inner tube. The park contains hardwood hammock and limestone outcrops, and, like many rivers in this part of North Florida, the Ichetucknee is fed by natural springs that boil up from an aquifer. The tranquil yet wild atmosphere is quite therapeutic and the water is quite safe to swim in. That being said, though, keep your wits about you for river snakes and other animals.
Visit the Historic Castillo De San Marcos
St. Augustine, Florida is the sight of the oldest European settlement in the United States and is known for its Spanish colonial architecture and sandy beaches. The Castillo de San Marcos, a 17th-century Spanish stone fortress with views of the St. Augustine Inlet, attracts visitors from around the world. This type of impressive fortress is unique in the new world and has fascinating history; this is a must-visit place for the history buffs in your life. After touring the castle, continue your adventure by exploring the many fun things to do in the city.
Castillo De San Marcos, 1 S Castillo Dr, St Augustine, FL, USA +1 904 829 6506
The Great Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail is an adventurer’s dream come true. You’ll definitely encounter some Instagram worthy moments along the 190-mile marked canoe and kayak trail that meanders through the coastal waters and inland tributaries of Lee County, Florida. The Calusa Blueway is great for first-time kayakers as well as advanced paddlers, and is home to abundant marine life, shore birds and crustaceans. If you’re lucky, you might even be greeted by a Florida manatee!
The Florida Everglades
No adventure to Florida is complete without a trip to Everglades National Park, a 1.5-million-acre wetlands preserve on the southern tip of Florida. Often compared to a grassy, slow-moving river, the Everglades is made up of coastal mangroves, sawgrass marshes and pine flatwoods that are home to hundreds of animal species, included the endangered Florida panther and leatherback turtle. We recommend you visit Billie Swamp Safari, which is run by the Seminole Tribe of Florida that has been living off of this land for centuries. At Billie Swamp Safari, you can take air-boat and buggy rides through the jungles and swamps of the Everglades.
The Florida Keys
Finish off your epic Florida adventure by going to the southernmost point of the continental United States in Key West. Along the way, you will drive along the famous 7 mile bridge that links mainland Florida to the Keys. There are bountiful possibilities for the adventure traveler here; you can charter a fishing boat and head out to sea with professional fishermen. Be patient, the adrenaline kicks in when the first mate yells ‘fish on!’ If you prefer looking at the fishing rather than catching them, we’ve got you covered — for help planning your dive trip, click here.
Southern Most Point. Whitehead St & South St, Key West, FL, USA +1 305 809 3700
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.