Miami’s Latin side comes to life in this Spanish-speaking quarter, where South Florida sunshine meets hole-in-the-wall cantinas, live salsa dancing and bars with bountiful rum collections.
The Miami neighborhood of Little Havana has been shaped by the waves of Cuban immigrants who’ve brought their distinctive music, flavors and street life to the west of Downtown. The stretch of Southwest 8th Street, known as Calle Ocho, is the buzzy area’s main artery. A stroll along it will take you past monuments to Cuban independence, colorful murals and ventanitas – walk-up windows selling Cuban street food. Start at 27th Avenue to enjoy the best of this vibrant slice of Cuban culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Looking for a place to stay? Just a few blocks from Calle Ocho, this 1920s hotel matches urbane vintage Miami with the lush tropical vibe of Cuba. The boutique property brims with exotic curios and souvenirs brought from the original owners’ international expeditions. You’ll want to spend plenty of time on its plant-filled rooftop, where you can wine and dine overlooking the Miami skyline. When it’s time to turn in, return to your room, choose from the pillow menu and slip between luxury linen sheets.
Although set a few blocks before what many consider the “start” of Calle Ocho, Versailles Restaurant has been a benchmark for Cuban dining – and Little Havana community hub – for 50 years. Inside, you can enjoy fine Cuban cuisine in elegant surrounds decorated with etched glass and neoclassical flourishes. Alternatively, walk up to La Ventanita and grab a coffee and snack to go, also a popular spot for locals engaging in their favorite pastime of talking politics.
For the locals of Little Havana, there’s no better sandwich than the Cubano – a variation of a ham and cheese, packed with pork, melted Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard – and you’ll find it prepared to perfection here. With its floating tables and Cuban tiles, the interiors are a homage to early 20th-century Cuban architecture. The best seats in the house are at the counter, where you can chew the fat with friendly staff. In a hurry? Rock up to their ventanita and get your sanguich to go.
This iconic piece of Miami Art-Deco architecture opened in 1926 and endures today as one of the city’s oldest cultural landmarks. It used to be a popular haunt for newly arrived exiles who would watch American movies to learn English. It’s been sensitively restored, complete with marquee sign and vintage seating, making it a great place to kick back with popcorn and enjoy anything from art-house movies to blockbusters – shown in both Spanish and English.
Just opposite Calle Ocho’s quintessential meeting place of Domino Park (named for the board games played here beneath shady trees), the Cubaocho Museum hosts some of the city’s finest performing arts, often with a focus on the history and experiences of Cubans. There’s a large collection of Cuban artworks, too, while by night things heat up with live jazz and salsa dancing. If that wasn’t enough, the bar boasts one of Little Havana’s best rum collections.
If you’re looking for a souvenir of your stroll down Calle Ocho, this is the ideal spot to pick up something totally tack-free. This cute store is brimming with a variety of creative pieces made by local artists and artisans. You’ll find everything from one-of-a-kind jewelry, footwear and handbags to books, perfumes and original art pieces. It’s also a great place to pick up some Miami-made Cremo Cigars, if you’re that way inclined.
If you prefer a vitamin hit, then this fabulously authentic fruit and veg market is worth a visit. They’ve been selling fresh produce, both locally grown and imported, to the community for five decades – and it hasn’t changed much in that time. Made-to-order smoothies are a great way to get your five-a-day, or chilled coconut water straight from the source to rehydrate on a sweltering Miami day.
If you’d rather stay in downtown Miami, but still have easy access to Little Havana, this skyscraper-set hotel is a five-minute cab journey from Calle Ocho. It distinguishes itself with Philippe Starck-designed interiors, an impressive art collection and seriously upscale facilities. An extensive rooftop terrace affords spectacular views over Biscayne Bay, plus a series of three pools. Spa treatments are state of the art and the dining options will make you think twice about heading out for dinner.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.