Surely one of the world’s chicest stretches of sand, Miami’s South Beach offers up stylish beach clubs, sushi restaurants and sea-spying places to stay.
At the southern end of Miami Beach, South Beach (aka SoBe) is one of the most talked-about beaches in the US. It’s a fun-loving sort of place: a longtime LGBTQ hub and one of the few beaches in the country where there’s a somewhat relaxed attitude toward topless sunbathing. Few American coastal spots rival South Beach for its nightlife and food scene, either, which ranges from Michelin-star bistros to hole-in-the-wall eateries. For daytime diversions, it’d be a shame to miss the Art Deco elements of South Beach and a foray into Little Havana to experience lively Latin culture is a must. Here’s how to see the beach in style.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Betsy Hotel is located on the quieter side of Miami’s iconic Ocean Drive. The 130 rooms and suites incorporate a taste of the tropical: palm-motif walls and potted house plants mixed with marble-finished bathrooms, walnut floors, fine art from the owner’s private collection and balconies with views of the Art Deco district. Staff curate events and activities such as yoga classes and live-music performances. LT Steak & Seafood, the main restaurant, specializes in Black Angus steaks and fresh-caught fish.
The Nautilus has so much going for it. For starters, the 250-room hotel is a three-minute walk to the Miami Beach Boardwalk. Next, the design: the historic property is one of the city’s original Art Deco landmarks. Plus, there’s the fitness element: guests can work out on a Peloton bike, a choice of three ellipticals and three treadmills, or do their crunches in front of an interactive Echelon mirror where you get on-demand boxing, Zumba cardio and boxing classes. All so you can look the part when hitting up SoBe’s sands.
Before we talk about the food, a word or two about the setting at 1 Hotel South Beach’s Wave Club. The Tulum-inspired al fresco restaurant makes liberal use of sprawling daybeds, swaying palms and overstuffed pillows. Being beachside and oh-so bohemian, you’ll be tempted to bury your toes in the sand – and, happily, Wave hosts Barefoot Sundays. It’s a place to relax and eat – specifically, the seafood: grouper ceviche, soft-shell crab and platters that use only sustainable sources.
Art Deco is to Miami what Gaudí is to Barcelona. The city has the highest concentration of Art Deco buildings in the world, especially in South Beach. Get close-ups of iconic landmarks (many of them on the beachfront), such as the Carlyle Night Club, Cardozo South Beach Hotel, Miami Post Office and the Marlin Hotel. Guides unpack the architectural history on both the Art Deco Walking Tour and the more spirited Miami Art Deco Cocktail Tour.
One of the whimsical highlights of the Delano Beach Club is award-winning hotel designer Philippe Starck’s Alice in Wonderland-inspired garden path that leads guests to the iconic swimming pool and the ocean. That connection to the sea continues at the Delano’s rooftop Ciel Spa, where guests can indulge in classic treatments, as well as the Ocean Meditation and Yoga for larger groups, and the Polynesian Body Bath, using milk and honey.
Snow crabs. Stone crabs. Alaskan king crabs. This family-owned crab shack on Ocean Drive in South Beach has been operating, in one form or another, since the family emigrated from Greece in 1921. In addition to the city’s favorite crab cakes, you can also chow down on oysters, lobster, grouper, salmon, scallops, calamari and other seafood. But do order DJ’s signature deviled crab: baked and served in its original shell.
So, your hotel isn’t right on the beach? You can pay-as-you-go at Nikki Beach Club, which has been welcoming jetsetters and travelers since 1998. Splurge for a comfy day bed on the sand or under one of the cabanas. DJs spin on the decks, the menu ticks off sushi rolls and freshly caught seafood, and weekends see the club offer up Rosé Saturdays and Sunday brunches with waffles on tap.
The iconic boardwalk is often referred to as the South Beach Boardwalk or, simply, Beachwalk, because it passes by numerous legendary South Beach sights. You can follow the boardwalk all the way from 5th Street in South Beach to 46th Street at Indian Beach Park. You’ll pass through a number of ‘hoods and landmarks, including the Ocean Drive promenade, North Shore Open Park and Surfside. Bikes are verboten in some stretches, and be prepared to share your personal space with joggers.
Fancy a change of pace from the beach? Head to Tampa for one of the biggest thrill rides in the United States and book your stay at one of the best hotels near Busch Gardens, Florida.3
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.