Hugging the Gulf Coast, Dunedin is one of the most relaxed beachside towns you could find in Florida. Just north of Clearwater – and west of Tampa – it has always been about long, lazy vacations with sunshine and the sea. If you need some action, Busch Gardens Tampa is close by, along with dozens of other attractions. And when you’re all worn out, you can head back to your welcoming bed at one of the best hotels and places to stay in Dunedin, bookable with Culture Trip.
With rattan headboards and quilty bed linen, these studios and one- and two-bedroom suites are traditional in style. However, the comfort factor is high, with smart, blond-wood furnishings and cozy sofas in the larger spaces. The Bella-Vista Suite has three bedrooms, with bathtubs all around, and is perfect for weddings and other celebratory occasions. Amenities include a pool overlooking the sea, complimentary membership at a nearby gym, free pier fishing and complimentary bicycles. For kitsch fun, ride the Jolly Trolley from Clearwater to Dunedin and Tarpon Springs – it’s pure Instagram gold.
This gorgeous B&B, with its jaunty blue façade and low-slung roof, looks as if it’s from the Caribbean. The vibe is irresistible too, sort of tiki-kooky, thanks to the fun-loving people behind it, Michelle and Rock. Rooms are individually themed, so expect shell art, flyers from festivals past and memorabilia donated by US patriots. Given a choice, we’d book one of the half-dozen one-room cottages, with their generous (shared with the neighbor) porches for dusk lazing. The owners are always hanging out, so let them point you in the right direction to the best breweries, distilleries and restaurants around town.
Rooms and suites at this attractive boutique lodging are snooze-inducingly subtle in their palette and design, with tranquil washes of gray and snow-white fabrics. There are cozy crash pads for couples and spacious two-bedroom, full-kitchen rentals for families and groups. If you don’t want to cook for yourself, you’ll have to head out; the local beach-bar and dining scene is a thriving one. Back at the hotel, a swimming pool on the sun deck, laundry facilities and property-wide wifi conspire to create a real home away from home.
Enjoy Dunedin from a (short) distance at the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort and Spa. At this private beach escape, you’re steps away from the ocean, and the wonderful Tommy’s Tiki Bar is unique for the locale, with seating directly on the beach. Heading more upscale, the resort’s Spotted Donkey Cantina does sizzling Mexican cuisine, including tableside guacamole, while Carambola is the breezy breakfast-brunch spot. However, don’t expect to be rising too early – rooms and suites are soporific cocoons of calm, if slightly corporate, design.
It’s no secret that Florida is a golfer’s paradise, but if you haven’t played the links at Innisbrook, we’re giving you a two-stroke penalty. Four championship courses, including one that hosts the PGA Tour Valspar Championship, dare you to break in your new grips. When you’re not taking on the Snake Pit, you can rest your sore muscles with a Fairways foot treatment at the Salamander Spa before grabbing beer-steamed bratwurst at Turnberry Pub. Not an avid golfer? Innisbrook has world-class tennis and the Loch Ness Monster Pool for you to enjoy under the Florida sun.
Want to stay in luxury in the heart of downtown Dunedin? Consider Meranova Bed and Breakfast. All eight apartment suites have separate entrances, guaranteeing privacy for a romantic getaway. The concierge can fetch groceries, wine, flowers, chocolates and craft beer so that your unit is stocked with goodies upon arrival. Here’s betting you spend all day cuddled up in your Turkish bathrobes on your supremely comfy beds, which have 500-thread-count sheets. When you’re ready for a beach day, Meranova’s “Fun in the Sun Kits” provide you with beach umbrellas, chairs, towels and coolers to make relaxation effortless.
Most rooms in the Best Western Plus Yacht Harbor Inn include a wet bar, so your most difficult decision will be choosing a private balcony with a bay view or a private patio with a marina view. However, do request a suite with a relaxing whirlpool tub. It’s the ultimate indulgence at this low-rise, low-key retreat – unless you decide to go gorging on juicy stone-crab claws and Florida black grouper at the on-site Bon Appétit Restaurant, Tampa Bay’s number one place to eat on the waterfront.
This hotel from the Jazz Age hosted the nation’s first radio station back in the 1920s, and true to form, it continues to pump the airwaves full of music. Start the evening with steaks at Hew Parlor & Chophouse, heading onwards and upwards for cocktails at the Hi-Fi Rooftop Bar, which rocks until late. Afterward, head down to your room or suite, with the pillowy beds and pale walls enhancing relaxation. With waterfront views from your king suite and smooth waves at the outdoor pool, you’ll be refreshed – ready for another evening of exhilaration.
Whether you and your partner are getting away for the weekend or you’re treating your wedding party to an amazing pre-ceremony bash, Coconut Grove Resort by Techtravel is the place to go. You can rent out as many suites as you desire, hosting up to 30 people for an unforgettable night. Within the vicinity, you’ll find golf and galleries to enjoy. And with a pool on-site – and the beach less than a five-minute walk away – you’ll be able to split up easily for sunshine and space. Suites have full kitchens and shared barbecue grills, so you’re all set for impromptu fun and games – just pull a few chilled bottles of wine from the fridge.
For more plush hotels in Florida, check out our guide to the best hotels to book in Clearwater for every traveler, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.