Miami is truly a magical city full of fun and fascinating things to do. The city is rich in culture and history, plus it has a great nightlife scene for those looking for a good time. However, while it’s a great city to visit, tourists can often make some very common mistakes while visiting. Here are five things that you need to know before flying to MIA.
They take public transport
Locals don’t take public transport. While many other cities around the world have awesome public transportation systems, Miami’s isn’t the best. It does hit some popular spots like the airport and downtown Miami, and if you try hard enough and have a lot of patience, you can get to the beach from almost anywhere. However, it can be very slow, and it takes a lot of planning. Don’t settle for taxis either, as they can be very expensive. Natives often use ridesharing apps, such as Uber or Lyft, for their rides around the city. These apps allow for easy pickup and drop-off, low prices, and features that enable you to split the cost or carpool for a lower rate. Use these apps as your preferred mode of transportation!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
They pay their tip twice
Tourists often fall into the trap of paying too much gratuity. In fact, this happens to natives as well! Many Miami Beach restaurants already tack on an 18% tip on your bill, but if you don’t pay close enough attention, it can just look like a dish you ordered or some kind of service fee. Be sure to look for gratuity charges on your bill at all food spots when you are visiting. If the tip is already included, there is no need to add more money to your total. Many high-end restaurants that are not in Miami Beach will also pull this trick, so be very careful and scan your bill before paying.
They underestimate the sun
Everyone knows that it’s eternal summer in Miami, but many think they are invincible to the heat. The sun shines brightly in the city, and tourists need to bring proper sunscreen with them. While you may want to return home at least three shades darker, you need to do it over a period of time. Don’t slather on dark tanning oil with an SPF 4 for hours at a time, or you’ll end up peeling. Do it gradually if you want to use tanning oil like that, or use a higher SPF if you want more exposure to the sun. Also, be sure to use chapstick while you’re outside; sun exposure can cause fever blisters, which are never sexy. You might also want to invest in some cooling aloe gel beforehand so that you’re not scrambling once everything hurts.
They fly into Ft. Lauderdale
While your flight might be cheaper because you’re flying into the city next door to Miami, it’s actually not the most practical. Ft. Lauderdale is about a 40–60-minute drive depending on traffic. Instead of going through all of that, it’s better to pay a little more and fly directly into Miami. The airport is very close to Miami Beach, and after being on a plane for a while, you don’t want to have to get in a car and travel for another hour all cramped up. Fly to Miami, and then take a Lyft or Uber to your hotel or other destination. Once you see how quickly you get there, you’ll be happy that you didn’t have to wait another 60 minutes.
They think it’s all about the club scene
Miami is known for being full of glitz and glamour. It’s popularized in movies, TV, and by celebrities who choose this destination for partying and having fun. While Miami is home to some snazzy clubs (frequented by tourists and natives alike), there’s also a lot of other activities and sites for those not interested in this type of nightlife. There is a fantastic art district that comes alive as the sun goes down, where you can have a drink in a more laid-back environment and maybe even catch a cool indie flick at O Cinema. There are also places where you can grab late-night tacos. You can even hit up a neighborhood bar. There are also venues hosting live jazz or even a local metal band. In other words, Miami has a lot more to offer than clubs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.