With such a varied and storied past, Tampa Bay is full of surprises: from legendary pirates and haunted ballrooms to some of the best Cuban sandwiches you’ll ever taste. It’s a city home to more than 130 nationalities, so visitors will be welcomed by a unique array of food, history and cultural experiences. Here are some of our favorite Tampa Bay facts.
Tampa is known as the cigar capital of the world
Cigar aficionados will feel right at home in the city of Tampa. The climate and close proximity to Cuba made it an ideal hub for cigar manufacturing in the 1900s. Today, there are few cigar factories left in the city. However, the museum and factory tours at JC Newman reveal how cigars became so intertwined with the culture of the Ybor City neighborhood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ybor City is one of the most haunted places in the world
Just northeast of Downtown Tampa lies the historic neighborhood of Ybor City. ‘Tampa’s playground’ isn’t just an eclectic mix of retail stores and diverse restaurants, but is also home to one of the most haunted buildings in the world. The Cuban Club, a Ybor City institution, was built in 1917 and has become a hotbed for ghost sightings and supernatural experiences. There are up to 300 spirits said to call the building home – it’s no surprise visitors keep being scared out the door.
The annual Gasparilla Pirate Festival has been running for more than 120 years
People from around the world travel to Tampa Bay to celebrate the mythical pirate José Gaspar. There’s no evidence he ever actually existed, but that doesn’t stop locals and visitors alike recreating the Gasparilla Invasion annually. A 4mi (6km) long parade of pirates is attended by as many as 300,000 enthusiasts and there’s live music, food and entertainment long into the evening.
The chickens in Ybor City are protected by law
Visitors to Tampa often notice the number of wild chickens strutting around various neighborhoods like they own the place. But these birds have a better claim to the land than you may think. The wild chickens are direct descendants of the poultry that lived here more than 100 years ago. Their historical significance has meant these clucking hens have legal protection that effectively makes the entire city a bird sanctuary.
Many famous movies have been filmed in Tampa
Film buffs will be pleased to hear that some of their favorite movies were filmed in Tampa. From Goodfellas (1990) to Edward Scissorhands (1990), a trip through the historic streets of Tampa is a journey through Hollywood. If you really want to feel the magic of Tampa Bay, visit Bricks restaurant in Ybor City where a scene in Magic Mike (2012) was filmed.
Cuban sandwiches were invented in Tampa
Miami may have popularised the Cuban sandwich, but it originated in Tampa. It’s said to have been created at La Joven Francesca Bakery, but you can find this home favorite in many spots around town, including the well-known Columbia Restaurant. The Cuban sandwich is a representation of the Spanish, Cuban, Italian and even German immigrants who created the Ybor City we know today.
Tampa was the first city to host and win the Super Bowl
One thing locals won’t forget anytime soon is Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ historic victory at Super Bowl LV. They beat the Kansas City Chiefs to become the first team to win the title game at their home ground. It’s the second time the Buccaneers have won a Super Bowl, the first was in 2003 against the Oakland Raiders.
Tampa is home to the longest continuous sidewalk in the US
One of Tampa’s best-known claims to fame is Bayshore Boulevard. The 4.5mi (7km) long sidewalk starts in Downtown Tampa and takes you, uninterrupted, along the Hyde Park neighborhood. You’ll get to see the Gasparilla Pirate Ship along the way and some of the most extravagant homes in the city.
Tampa was a top seller of illegal liquor during the Prohibition era
Soon after the 1919 Prohibition Act, Tampa became known as one of the wettest cities in the country. It’s claimed that more than 130 retailers were selling booze illegally during this time. Its infamy was partly due to the ease of obtaining alcohol from Cuba, just a boat ride away.
José Martí Park in Tampa is actually owned by Cuba
Ybor City is the only neighborhood along Florida’s West Coast to be appointed a National Historic Landmark District. One place that adds to its historical significance is José Martí Park, dedicated to the poet and journalist who led the Cuban revolution against Spanish rule in the 1880s and 1890s. The park has been owned by Cuba since 1956 and represents a little piece of the country – it contains soil from each Cuban province.
Learn more about Tampa Bay and start planning your own trip at visittampabay.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.