At the east entrance of Rocky Mountains National Park and home to its headquarters, you’ll never be short of an impressive view or two in Estes Park in Colorado. Here are the best hotels in town, bookable on Culture Trip, where you can relax and take in the beauty of the natural landscape.
There’s no doubt you will feel welcome wherever you choose to stay in Estes Park, and the fresh air will make you sleep like a baby. Located 7,522ft (2,292m) above sea level, it is the basecamp for all kinds of adventures – whether you like to hike, rock climb, fish or ski, the mountains are on your doorstep. This colorful community is surrounded by the great outdoors, providing year-round visitors with a range of accommodation ranging from luxury hotels to cozy bed and breakfasts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Dao House has a room that fits your vision of the perfect RMNP getaway. The lodge is a more traditional, hotel-like space, complete with your own bathroom and a semi-private patio. You’ll find the rustic privacy already included in the stand-alone cabins. These private homes are ideal spots to pop a squat on the porch and wait with camera in-hand until a majestic local roams nearby. But if you’re too busy getting your backpack in order for a long hike through the park, perhaps the affordable hostel rooms will do just fine.
A studio suite at Historic Crag’s Lodge will more than suffice for any traveller looking to see and do as much as possible around Estes Park. The partial kitchen is an easy sell for the loads of leftovers you’ll bring home from the food trucks surrounding Rock Cut Brewing Company. Check Fun City and the Estes Park Aerial Tramway off your list without walking more than a half-mile.
Of the many mountains outside your window, you’ll certainly find a fondness for Lily Mountain when you stay at Taharaa Mountain Lodge. Your home from home is at her base and a seat in the outdoor hot tub is the perfect way to get acquainted with her beauty. Break away from her only to sample a spread of wild game at the Twin Owls Steakhouse. You may see other mountains putting on a show outside of the restaurant’s wide windows – just keep your eyes on your plate, lest you invoke Lily envy.
Don’t let Aspen Winds on Fall River’s location fool you; this Estes Park hotel with a private hot tub in the spa suites may be 3mi (5km) from the town center, but it’s within a half-mile of the Fall River entrance to RMNP. You’ll have no traffic to contend with – save for a squirrel or two – as you make your way into the park. You’ll return just as easily, diving into the two-person jacuzzi to warm up before stargazing all night long from your private deck.
When you’re spending your days hiking under blue skies and your nights gazing up at the stars, you’ll wonder how life could get any better. WorldMark is ready to spur your imagination with their dreamy amenities such as outdoor hot tubs, a children’s play area, and easy access to the Trout Haven Fishing Pond. You’ll be so busy outdoors that you’ll barely have any time to appreciate the fireplace and balcony in your suite. It’s a small price to pay for hours spent cooking elk burgers in the barbecue area.
Situated directly on the riverfront, the 4 Seasons Inn on Fall River is an intimate owner-managed lodge with chalets, set in the midst of nature with the sound of the babbling river and views of the Rocky Mountains. Spacious rooms are simply styled with rustic pine wood-paneled walls, floor-to-ceiling windows and modern bathrooms. This is the ideal spot for a great night’s sleep, as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the town; instead of partying the night away, guests can chill out in their own private hot tub.
Although only a short walk to downtown Estes Park, the Silver Moon Inn’s forest surroundings will transport you to a magical land. With the gentle murmur of the Fall River in the background, the vibe is laid-back with homey wooden furniture and porch swings that appeal to romantics as much as to families. The focus is on the outdoors, and there is plenty of communal seating, a fire pit, two hot tubs, a pool and patio heaters to keep guests cozy, while there’s a kitchenette corner of the lobby offering a free continental breakfast that’ll set you up for a day of exploring.
The Estes Park Resort is a stunning lodge located on the shores of Lake Estes and is framed by panoramic views of the Rockies. With a choice of 54 guest rooms and suites, there is bound to be something to fit your requirements – don’t worry, all rooms come with a view. The Italian restaurant Dunraven is the perfect place to savor some authentic Mediterranean food and, if the weather is playing ball, dine al fresco on the terrace, where your belly and eyes will have a feast.
Filled with family history, the Landing at Estes Park – Riverside Retreat was once home to a couple who had lived in the property for 45 years. It was sold in 2015, and out of respect for former resident Joyce and her husband, the new owners opened it up as a guesthouse to share the stunning location and breathtaking views. The property still contains many of the original details such as the handcrafted stonework, cozy fireplaces, exposed beams, brass lion heads on doors, hickory furniture and early American artwork, and you’ll be treated like part of the family.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Sara Darling.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.